Recipe At A Glance
National Snack Month is almost over, but you can still sneak in one last wholesome treat with this recipe for Mixed Berry Baked Oatmeal Bars from Dessert for Two.
- 16 ounces Sunkist Frozen Berry Medley
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 3/4 cup oat flour (made by grinding 3/4 cup of oats in a blender until flour-y)
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon pink salt
- 6 tablespoons unsalted grass-fed butter
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- juice and zest from 1/2 a lemon
- Partially defrost the berries at room temperature in a large bowl for about an hour.
- Meanwhile, make the oat flour if you haven’t already.
- Preheat the oven to 375. Line an 8×8″ square pan with parchment paper in two directions, so all sides are covered. Leave excess parchment paper so you have handles for removing the bars.
- In a medium bowl, stir together the oats, oat flour, coconut sugar, cinnamon and salt. Set aside.
- Melt the butter in the microwave in a small dish.
- Pour the butter into the oat mixture and stir until everything is evenly mixed.
- Remove a heaping 1/2 cup of the oat mixture and reserve it for the top.
- Press the oat mixture into the prepared pan. Press it firmly and evenly to make the crust.
- Next, drain the juice from the berries (but don’t toss it–either drink it straight or stir it into some sparkling water or a smoothie).
- Gently stir the cornstarch, lemon zest and lemon juice into the berries.
- Pour the berry mixture evenly over the crust.
- Sprinkle the reserved 1/2 cup of oat mixture on top of the berries.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes, or until the bars are bubbling and the top is golden brown.
- Let cool completely before slicing into squares and serving.