- 12 sheets Athens® Phyllo Dough (9″ x 14″), thawed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1/4 pound zucchini, shredded
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 ounces ricotta cheese, drained
- 6 ounces feta cheese
- 3 large eggs, beaten
- 1 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 stick butter, melted
- Thaw one roll of phyllo, following thawing instructions on package. Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- Unroll and cover phyllo sheets with plastic wrap, then a slightly damp towel to prevent drying out.
- Heat a medium sauté pan over medium high heat. Add olive oil. Add zucchini, green onions and garlic, stirring occasionally until soft.
- Strain mixture well, squeezing out all liquid.
- In a medium bowl, mix together ricotta cheese, feta and eggs. Add in zucchini mixture, season with salt and pepper, and mix well.
- Place a stack of two sheets of phyllo on work surface, lightly brush top with butter. Fold stack in half lengthwise. Position phyllo with long side towards you.
- Put approximately 1/3 cup of filling lengthwise down the center leaving about ¾” at either end for tucking. Fold phyllo over filling and gently roll to form a “snake”. Lay seam side down in a 9” shallow, round pan, along edge. Repeat with remaining filling, tucking under the ends and coiling the “snakes” towards the center. The last piece may need to be shortened to fit in center.
- Brush pie with butter.
- Bake for 55-60 minutes or until golden brown.
- Allow to cool at least 5 minutes before cutting and serving.
• It is important to remove as much liquid as possible from zucchini mixture before adding it to cheese mixture.
• Can be prepared in advance, wrapped airtight in pan and frozen. To serve, unwrap and bake as directed.
• A dollop of sour cream is a nice accompaniment.