Recipe At A Glance
With all the holiday entertaining in the weeks ahead, you’re going to need a super-easy side dish that’s just as fitting with a slow-roasted prime rib, as it is with an herb-rubbed turkey breast. Enter these Onion Ring Cheesy Potatoes from Mr. Food Test Kitchen!
- 1 (30-oz.) package frozen shredded potatoes, thawed
- 1 (10-oz.) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeeze dried
- 3 Tbsp. butter
- 2 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. onion powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 2 cups milk
- 1 (8-oz.) package shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 (13.5-oz.) package frozen onion rings
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Coat a 9- x 13-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, combine shredded potatoes and spinach; mix well and set aside.
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, melt butter. Stir in flour, onion powder, and salt; cook for 1 minute, stirring frequently. Gradually stir in the milk and cook until mixture is thickened, stirring occasionally. Add cheese and continue stirring until melted.
- Pour cheese sauce over potato and spinach mixture and mix until thoroughly combined. Spoon mixture into baking dish. Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 25 minutes. Remove foil and top with onion rings.
- Continue to cook for 15 to 20 minutes or until heated through and onion rings are crisp and golden.