Recipe At A Glance
In our kitchen it’s not a party unless there is cake and ice cream, which is why Mr. Food Test Kitchen created the ultimate Ice Cream Party Cake. And since this decadent creation has practically everything except the kitchen sink, you can be guaranteed that everyone will be happy. So grab a fork (and a spoon) and dig in.
- 1 (15.25-ounce) box chocolate cake mix, prepared and baked according to package directions for two 9-inch cake pans
- 4 cups cherry chip ice cream, softened
- 6 to 7 assorted novelty ice cream bars, cut into 2-inch pieces (see Tip)
- 4 cups vanilla ice cream, softened
- Caramel sauce for drizzling
- Hot fudge sauce for drizzling
- Remove cakes to a wire rack to cool, then remove from cake pans.
- Clean cake pans then line with plastic wrap. Place cooled cakes back into cake pans.
- Evenly spread cherry chip ice cream over 1 cake.
- Gently press half the ice cream novelty pieces into cherry chip ice cream. Cover with plastic wrap and freeze.
- Spread vanilla ice cream over second cake; cover and freeze until ice cream is solid.
- Remove cherry chip ice cream cake to a platter, discarding plastic wrap.
- Place vanilla ice cream cake layer on top.
- Arrange remaining novelty ice cream pieces on vanilla ice cream, as shown.
- Drizzle with caramel and hot fudge sauces. Serve immediately or freeze until ready to serve.
Mr. Food Test Kitchen Tip – For novelty ice cream, we tested with Snickers® and Twix® ice cream bars, and M & M’s® ice cream cookie sandwiches. And when it comes to the flavor of the ice cream, feel free to use your favorites.