- 1 pack Lender’s Original Bagels
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 4 each yellow onions, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 each bay leaves
- 2 each thyme sprigs
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 3 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 2 quarts beef broth
- 1/2 lb. gruyere, grated
- Melt the stick of butter in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onions, garlic, bay leaves, thyme, and salt and pepper, and cook until the onions are soft and caramelized. This should take about 25 minutes.
- Once the onions are soft, add the wine, bring to a boil, reduce the heat, and simmer until the wine has evaporated for about 5 minutes.
- Discard the bay leaves and thyme sprigs. Dust the onions with the flour and give them a stir to create your roux. Turn the heat down to medium-low so the flour doesn't burn and cook for 10 minutes to cook out the raw flour taste.
- Add the beef broth, bring the soup back to a simmer, and cook for 10 minutes.
- add the beef broth, bring the soup back to a simmer, and cook for 10 minutes.
- Ladle your soup into a bowl and top each with a bagel crostini and serve!