- 12 3/4-inch slices day-old French bread (from long, thin loaf)
- 1 bundle (10 oz.) fresh asparagus cuts, cooked and drained
- 2 cups skim or low-fat (1%) milk
- 6 NestFresh Eggs
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon instant minced onion
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- ground red pepper or paprika, optional
- Arrange 6 bread slices on bottom of lightly greased 8 x 8 x 2-inch baking dish.
- Evenly spoon asparagus over bread. Top with remaining bread slices.
- In medium bowl, beat together remaining ingredients except pepper until well blended. Pour evenly over bread. Cover.
- Refrigerate several hours or overnight. Uncover.
- Bake in preheated 350 F. oven until golden brown, puffed and knife inserted near center comes out clean, about 50 to 60 minutes. Lightly sprinkle with pepper, if desired.