- 1 box Athens® Fillo Dough (the box includes 2 rolls, use one, and return the other roll to the freezer)
- 4 Tbsp. Land O Lakes® unsalted butter, melted
- 14-15 tsp. turbinado sugar (Find at Mexican markets or in your local store sold as raw sugar, the crystals are larger)
- Grounc cinnamon to taste
You will also need:
- wax or parchment paper
- kitchen brush
- baking sheet
- Take one phyllo dough roll from the box and defrost it according to the directions on the package. You can do it overnight in the fridge or on your kitchen counter for 2 hours.
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Prepare your work area by cutting a piece of parchment or wax paper, and be sure to have your turbinado sugar, melted butter, and cinnamon ready to work with.
- Take the phyllo dough roll and unroll it. Carefully take one of the thin sheets (the roll is made of many sheets, about 18-20) and place it on the parchment or wax paper. Brush the entire surface of the sheet with melted butter, starting from the edges to the center. Add a second sheet on top of the first, brush surface with butter again, then sprinkle two teaspoons of turbinado sugar and cinnamon to taste.
- Add a third sheet on top and brush with butter.
- Cover the remaining unused sheets with another piece of wax paper, then, a clean, wet, cloth kitchen towel on top of that to prevent the sheets from drying out until you need them.
- Using the parchment or wax paper to help you, roll a little bit of the 3 prepared sheets starting from one of the longer edges. Using your fingers, carefully check that the roll is forming. Don’t be afraid to use your fingers to get it started.
- Then, lift the paper up and let the roll take form, check out this short video:
- Once rolled up, brush the roll with more melted butter and sprinkle a little turbinado sugar.
- Place roll on an ungreased baking sheet. Cover with another sheet of wax paper to keep it from drying out.
- Repeat until you have finished with all phyllo dough sheets. You may end with a couple of extras. In this case, you can make one more roll, just add cinnamon and sugar after the first sheet, or you can save them for later.
- Remove the wax paper you are using to prevent the prepared rolls from drying out and bake for 8-9 minutes or until golden brown and crispy.