Recipe At A Glance
We’re so excited to share the 1st place winning recipe from our Dinner in a Dash Recipe Contest with our friends at Mr. Food Test Kitchen.
When we first looked at, and then tasted, the recipe submitted by Pamela S. from Parkersburg, WV, we knew it was special. As a mom of 7 children, she was used to making meals with what she had on hand and used easy shortcuts whenever possible. When faced with the pandemic, Pamela became extra creative and whipped up this budget-friendly, all-in-one beefy casserole to make a dinner that was so good, we knew it was a winner after just one forkful.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 (1-ounce) package dry onion soup mix
- 1 (10-ounce) package frozen peas and carrots
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 (12-ounce) jar beef gravy
- 3 cups frozen potato tots
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 half jalapeño, seeded and diced, optional
- 1/2 cup sour cream (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Coat a 2-quart baking dish with cooking spray.
- In a large, deep skillet over medium heat, cook ground beef until no longer pink, stirring occasionally to crumble; drain liquid. Add onion soup mix, peas and carrots, the corn, and gravy to skillet; mix well. Cover and simmer for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, in a microwaveable bowl, heat potato tots 2 to 3 minutes, just until you can crumble with a fork. Stir in cheese and jalapeño, if desired. Spoon beef mixture into baking dish and sprinkle potato mixture evenly over top.
- Bake 25 minutes or until heated in center. Top with sour cream, (if desired) and serve.
Test Kitchen Tip: We love how Pamela crumbles up the potato tots and mixes them with some cheddar to make a topping that is second-to-none. In this case, thinking outside the box really paid off.