Celebrate Cinco de Mayo at Home!
Happy Cinco de Mayo! While we may not be observing the holiday how we usually would, we can still have a festive and delicious celebration! Cinco de Mayo, or 5th of May, is not to be confused with the Day of the Dead or Mexico’s Independence Day. It’s when Mexico beat France during the Franco-Mexican War in the Battle of Puebla on May 5, 1862. Although the battle itself was relatively small, it was symbolic because a small Mexican army defeated a larger occupying force.
Today, people around the United States celebrate Mexican culture and heritage on this day – through parades, parties, traditional foods and festivals. Although large gatherings and parties aren’t really happening this year, you can create your own Cinco de Mayo party in the comfort of your own home or outdoor space! Try these recipes and meal ideas for a fun fiesta.
Kick off your celebration with these snacks:
- These Beef & Cheese Mini Tacos are ready to eat in less than 10 minutes.
- Chipotle Chicken Mini Tostadas look so fancy but are easy to assemble!
- Halve these Loaded Beef Nacho Chimichangas and serve with your favorite salsa.
- Easy Mexican Chicken Pinwheels are a delish bite-sized treat.
- It wouldn’t be a party without Guacamole! Serve with tortilla chips or Beef Taquitos.
- Grab these Charbroiled Chicken & Monterey Jack Cheese Quesadillas and cut in halves for an effortless snack.
- This Mexican Crab Dip is oh-so-creamy and perfect with crackers or baguette slices.
Spice up your Cinco de Mayo dinner with these main dishes:
- Make a family-sized pan of the Ultimate Pierogy Nachos for the ultimate meal!
- Who doesn’t love hash browns?! This Taco Casserole is topped with crispy, golden hash brown potatoes.
- Steak Fajita Quesadillas are everything you didn’t know you needed for Cinco de Mayo.
- Popcorn Shrimp Tostadas take only 20 minutes to prep and are topped with fresh ingredients!
- For a comforting and vegetarian dish, make these Sweet Corn and Cheese Empanadas.
- Grab an assortment of burrito flavors and let your family choose their fave: Steak & Cheddar, Bean, Rice & Cheddar, Chicken, Cilantro & Lime, Cheese Quesadilla.
- Cook up these flavorful and easy Green Enchiladas.
- This Pierogy Taco Casserole is sure to please everyone! Don’t have Classic Onion pierogies on hand? Swap out for another fun flavor like Jalapeno & Sharp Cheddar or Savory 5 Cheese Blend!
- Going meatless? These Crispy Avocado Tacos with Jicama Carrot Slaw are the answer!
- Plan a Quesadilla Bar with a variety of toppings so everyone can customize to their liking!
Mix up these fiesta-worthy drinks:
- Is it really Cinco de Mayo if you don’t drink a margarita? Try a Tangerine Margarita for a sweet and refreshing cocktail!
- Cool off from the spiciness with a Pina Colada Smoothie.
- Blend up a Sangria Slushie using frozen fruit.
- It takes only four ingredients to make a Spiced Mexican Hot Chocolate – perfect for an after-dinner delight!
- For a kid-friendly beverage, mix up a Pomegranate Blueberry Sangria Mocktail.
- These Blackberry Tequila Lemon Coolers are as beautiful as they are tasty.
- A traditional Watermelon Agua Fresca is sure to quench your thirst.
How will you celebrate this Cinco de Mayo? Share your favorite recipes with us on social media @EasyHomeMeals!