- 1/4 cup butter
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2-1/4 cups milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 (8-ounce) block sharp white cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 (16-ounce) package frozen pierogi
- Paprika for sprinkling
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Coat an 8 x 8 inch baking dish or 2-quart casserole dish with cooking spray.
- In a saucepan over medium heat, melt butter and sauté onion and garlic for 7 to 9 minutes or until onions start to turn golden, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in flour and cook for 1 minute. Gradually add milk, salt, and pepper, and cook until mixture begins to thicken, stirring constantly. Add cheese and continue stirring until melted.
- Pour 1/2 cup of cheese sauce in bottom of baking dish. Place a layer of pierogi on top.
- Pour half of the remaining cheese sauce over pierogi. Repeat layers with pierogi and cheese sauce. Sprinkle with paprika.
- Cover and bake for 30 minutes.
- Uncover and bake for an additional 15 to 20 minutes or until pierogi are heated through, and top is bubbly and golden.
- Serve warm and enjoy!
Test Kitchen Tip:
When we make these, we prefer to grate our own cheese as it seems to melt better. Plus, it’s a great way to use up those odds and ends pieces you have hiding in the back of your fridge.