- 1 medium onion, finely chopped or shredded
- 2 lbs. ground lamb or ground beef
- 1 Tbsp. finely minced garlic
- 1 Tbsp. dried marjoram
- 1 Tbsp. dried ground rosemary
- 2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 16 oz. plain yogurt
- 1 medium cucumber, peeled, seeded, and finely chopped
- pinch kosher salt
- 4 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 tsp. red wine vinegar
- 5-6 mint leaves, finely minced
- 6 BAYS® English Muffins, lightly toasted
- Feta cheese, as desired
- 1 small tomato, chopped
- Process the onion in a food processor for 10 to 15 seconds and turn into the center of a tea towel. Gather up the ends of the towel and squeeze until almost all of the juice is removed. Discard juice.
- Return the onion to the food processor and add the lamb or beef, garlic, marjoram, rosemary, salt & pepper, and process until it is a fine paste, approximately 1 minute. Stop the processor as needed to scrape down sides of bowl. Place the mixture in a pan over medium-high heat and brown until no longer pink.
- Slice or crumble and serve on one half of a BAYS English Muffin. Fold over and secure with a wooden pick.
- Top with tzatziki sauce (see below), chopped onion, tomatoes and feta cheese.
- Place the yogurt in a tea towel, gather up the edges, suspend over a bowl, and drain for 2 hours in the refrigerator.
- Place the chopped cucumber in a tea towel and squeeze to remove the liquid. Discard liquid.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine the drained yogurt, cucumber, salt, garlic, olive oil, vinegar, and mint.
- Serve as a sauce for gyros.