- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 1 (10-oz.) package frozen cubed butternut squash, thawed
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 apple, peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1-1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/8 tsp. black pepper
- 1/2 cup half and half
- In a large soup pot over medium heat, melt butter and cook squash, onion and apple for 8 to 10 minutes, or until squash begins to soften.
- Add chicken broth, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt and pepper; bring to a boil.
- Cover and reduce heat to low and simmer 30 minutes or until squash is very soft.
- Pour into a blender and puree the soup until smooth. Careful, it will be hot!
- Place back in pot and stir in half and half. Heat for 5 minutes or until heated through.
Test Kitchen Tip:
If you have an immersion blender, this would be a great time to use it rather than pureeing in a blender.