Recipe At A Glance
A staple Thanksgiving day recipe that your family will love by Angie Mcgowan from Eclectic Recipes!
For the onions:
- 1/2 medium onion, very thinly sliced (use mandoline)
- 3 Tbsp. yellow corn meal
- 3 Tbsp. flour
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- vegetable oil for frying
For the casserole:
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup flour
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup chopped mushrooms
- 2 Tbsp. chopped roasted red peppers from jar
- 1 clove garlic, grated
- 2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1 (9-oz.) pkg. frozen asparagus
- 1 (12-oz.) pkg. frozen green beans
- Heat vegetable oil for frying in a large skillet or deep fry to 350F. Heat oven to 350F. Combine sliced onions, corn meal, flour, salt and pepper in a large bowl. Toss well to coat. Place onions in hot oil and fry until golden brown and crisp, about 1-2 minutes. Place on rack or paper towels to drain and cool.
- In a large skillet, add 1 tablespoon of the butter and chopped mushrooms. Saute mushrooms over low heat until they are tender. Melt the rest of the butter in the skillet. Whisk in flour, salt and pepper. Add red bell peppers. Add milk and continue to whisk until mixture comes to a boil and thickens. Reduce heat and simmer for 2-3 minutes.
- Add vegetables to a 8×8 casserole dish and mix well. Pour sauce over vegetables and mix well. Bake for 30-40 minutes, or until bubbly and lightly browned. Remove from oven when done and garnish with fried onions. Serve.