Celebrating the Dairy Aisle & Its Grocery Neighbors All Month Long!
It’s National Dairy Month! That joyous time of year where we celebrate not only dairy in all it’s delicious, nutritious forms, but all the products that make up today’s dairy aisle. Which, if you haven’t looked lately, is A LOT of tasty food with A LOT of fun uses.
And do we have a treat for you! We thought we’d celebrate this delectable month with some fun facts you may not know about the products in one of the most popular areas of the store.
Did You Know?!?
- Every day, the average cow produces enough milk to fill six one-gallon jugs, about 55 pounds of milk.
- It takes:
- 12 pounds of whole milk to make 1 gallon of ice cream
- 2 pounds of milk to make 1 pound of butter
- 10 pounds of milk to make 1 pound of cheese
- The natural yellow color of butter comes mainly from the beta-carotene found in the grass cows eat.
- Cheddar cheese is the most popular natural cheese in the U.S.
- People have created and eaten regular yogurt for more than 5,000 years.
- The average buyer purchases cheese 15 times at retail each year.
- Egg yolks and the whites have the same amount of protein.
- About 73% of calcium available in the food supply is provided by milk and milk products.
- The milkman started delivering in 1942 as a war conservation measure.
- Eggs are one of the few dietary sources of vitamin D.
- The most popular cheese recipe in the United States is “macaroni and cheese.”
- Early renditions of cream cheese date back as far as 1583.
Now if those bite-sized facts made you hungry – good news! Chef Jamie Gwen cooked up some dairy knowledge and a whole lot of deliciousness for National Dairy Month.
She created several scrumptious recipes using Dairy Aisle products like plant-based milk, baking goods, creamers and more. Check out her tips and recipes below!