- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1/3 cup minced shallots
- 1 tsp. minced garlic
- 2 (12 oz.) packages frozen Morningstar Farms Meal Starters Grillers Crumbles
- 1 cup ketchup
- 2 tsp. Dijon mustard
- 2 tsp. brown sugar
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- 2/3 cup water
- 1 Tbsp. cider vinegar
- 1 Tbsp. soy sauce
- 6 hamburger buns, white or whole wheat (warmed in microwave or oven, if desired)
1. Heat a large skillet over medium heat and add the oil. Add the shallots and garlic and sauté for 4 minutes, until the shallots are tender. Turn the heat to medium-high, add the frozen Morningstar Farms Meal Starters Grillers Crumbles and sauté until they are mostly defrosted and well combined with the shallots and garlic, about 8 minutes. Add the ketchup, mustard, brown sugar, chili powder, salt and pepper. Stir until well combined. Add the 2/3 cup water, the cider vinegar, and the soy sauce, bring to a simmer, and simmer uncovered for about 5 minutes until the liquid has reduced and thickened into a sauce.
2. Place an open bun on each plate and using a large spoon, scoop some of the Sloppy Joe filling onto the bottom of each bun. Top with the other half of the bun.
What the Kids Can Do:
- Measure the ingredients, dump them into the pan (with supervision), put the buns on the plates, spoon the Sloppy Joe mixture onto the buns.
- Make Ahead: This is in fact even better when you make it a day or two ahead and reheat it; fill the buns right before you serve.
- If you want to use another vinegar besides cider vinegar, use whatever you have on hand.
- Add more or less chili powder if you like things milder or on the spicier side. A pinch or two of cayenne or a squeeze of hot sauce can also spice the filling up more.