- 16 ounces tomato sauce
- 2 teaspoons white distilled vinegar
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 3 1/2 teaspoons dried ancho chile powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons leaf oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 lbs chicken breasts
- adobo with pepper, to taste
- 1 (10 ounce) packages corn tortillas, warmed
FOR THE GARNISH
- 1 cup crumbled La Vaquita® Queso Fresco
- 1/4 cup white onion, finely chopped
- 1 medium ripe avocado, peeled and sliced
- 2 tablespoons coarsely chopped fresh cilantro
- hot sauce, to taste
- In medium bowl, mix together tomato sauce, vinegar, garlic, chili powder, cumin, oregano, and sugar. Season with adobo; set aside.
- Heat oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Season chicken with adobo. Cook chicken, turning once, until light golden brown on both sides, about 5 minutes. Add reserved tomato sauce mixture to pan; bring to a boil (be careful, the tomato sauce can splatter). Lower heat to medium low. Simmer, covered, until cooked through (thermometer will register 170°F when inserted into thickest part of breast), flipping once, about 20 minutes.
- Transfer chicken to cutting board; reserve sauce in pan. Using two forks, shred chicken breast. Transfer chicken to skillet with sauce, mixing to combine; continue to cook until sauce reduces and blends into chicken, and mixture begins to caramelize, about 10 minutes more.
- Transfer chicken mixture to serving bowl. Spoon into warmed corn tortillas. Garnish with lettuce, tomatoes, avocados and/or onions, if desired. Sprinkle with hot sauce, if desired. Finish with crumbled La Vaquita® Queso Fresco.