- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup finely chopped walnuts
- 1 pound frozen bread dough, thawed
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) butter, softened
Cream Cheese Icing:
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1-1/4 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Coat a 9- x 13-inch baking dish with cooking spray. In a small bowl, combine brown sugar, cinnamon, and walnuts; set aside.
- On a lightly floured surface, with a rolling pin, roll out the dough into a 14- x 12-inch rectangle. (You want to make sure you exercise your patience and do this gently, otherwise the dough will keep shrinking. Trust us on this one!)
- Spread 1 stick of butter on the dough and sprinkle evenly with the sugar-cinnamon mixture.
- Starting at the long edge closest to you, roll up the dough jelly-roll fashion. Make sure you end with the seam down.
- Cut the rolled dough into 12 equal pieces and place cut side down into baking dish, leaving room for them to expand when they rise.
- Cover with plastic wrap and let rise in a warm spot 60 to 90 minutes or until doubled in size.
- Bake rolls 15 to 20 minutes or until golden brown.
- Meanwhile, to make the Cream Cheese Icing, in a medium bowl with an electric mixer, beat cream cheese, the 3 tablespoons butter, confectioners’ sugar, and vanilla until smooth.
- Allow cinnamon buns to cool slightly before spreading with icing.