- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 package Mrs. T's Classic Onion Pierogies, (slightly thawed for 10 minutes)
- 3-6 tablespoons oil for frying
- 1 stick Land O’Lakes Butter
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 6 whole sage leaves, plus more for garnish
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- additional salt and pepper for seasoning
- In a medium bowl whisk together the eggs, water, flour, salt and pepper until completely smooth. Set aside.
- Mince the garlic and set aside.
- Working with partially thawed pierogies (you want them to be soft enough to cut through but still somewhat frozen so that they stay intact) cut each one in half vertically and then again horizontally so that each pierogi is now cut into four pieces. Continue with remaining pierogies.
- Heat a large non-stick frying pan with 3-4 tablespoons of oil on medium-high heat. Working in batches, dunk some of the pierogi pieces into the egg mixture to coat completely; I like using two forks here to shake off the excess mixture. Place each into the hot oil and fry on all sides until the exterior is golden, 3-4 minutes per side. Remove to a plate and continue with remaining pierogi pieces until they’re all fried.
- Add the butter to the now empty pan and let it melt on medium-low heat. Add the garlic, sage and nutmeg and swirl until the garlic is fragrant (be careful not to burn it) and the butter has a nutty aroma, about 2 minutes.
- Mix the Pierogi bites into the butter mixture, tossing to coat for another minute or two. Season with an extra sprinkle of salt and pepper and serve hot topped with additional sage for garnish.