- 3 cups Florida’s Natural Orange Juice No Pulp, divided
- 4 oz (100 g or ½ cup) sugar
- 1/4 tsp. baking soda
- 4 (7g) unflavored gelatin packets
- 2 cups Horizon Organic Half & Half
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- Mandarin oranges and mint leaves for decoration (optional)
- Pour 2 cups Florida’s Natural Orange Juice in a pot over medium-high heat. Add sugar, baking soda and mix until dissolved. Wait until juice and sugar are very hot, but not boiling.
- Dissolve the contents of the gelatin packets into 1 cup of Florida’s Natural juice and set aside. You will see how the gelatin gets hydrated and starts to solidify.
- When the juice is hot, turn off the heat and add the hydrated gelatin, mix until it dissolves completely.
- Pour Horizon Organic Half & Half and vanilla extract into the juice with the gelatin. Important note: mix really fast with a spoon or whisk as you pour half & half into the gelatin.
- Important note: Sometimes when you mix citrus liquids and milk the mixture curdles a little, it has happened to me multiple times (you can see the difference in the pictures in the blog post). That is why the baking soda in the recipe is so important, it helps raise the ph of the mixture a tad. However, sometimes even with it, this still happens.
- Fixing it is very easy. Pour the mixture into a blender and mix for a few seconds, you will see how it gets creamy and silky again. You can also use an immersion blender.
- Fill up the gelatin molds and refrigerate until firm. Approx 2-3 hours