- Coarse or kosher salt, to taste
- 3 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 tablespoons Florida’s Orange Juice
- 3 tablespoons Melt Organic butter
- ¼ cup whole milk
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup chopped, defrosted frozen cranberries
1. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat. Add the potatoes and allow the water to return to a simmer. Adjust the heat so the water remains at a simmer and simmer until the sweet potatoes are very soft, 20 to 25 minutes.
2. Drain the potatoes and return them to the pot. Use an immersion blender or a potato masher to mash the potatoes. Alternately, put the potatoes through a ricer or a food mill, allowing the mashed potatoes to fall back into the pot. Add the orange juice, butter, milk, salt, and pepper and stir to thoroughly combine and heat through.
3. Transfer to a serving dish and sprinkle with the chopped cranberries. Serve hot.
- Use defrosted frozen pomegranate seeds in place of the chopped, defrosted frozen cranberries for another ruby red sweet tart burst of color and flavor.
- Make the potatoes up to two days ahead of time and store in an airtight container in the fridge. Heat in a pot over low heat, stirring frequently, until warmed through, or alternately in a 300°F oven, stirring occasionally. You may need to add a bit of extra milk or orange juice if the potatoes are too thick. Scatter the cranberries or the pomegranate seeds over the top just before serving.
- If you want a slightly sweeter flavor in your mashed sweet potatoes, try the honey flavor of the Melt organic butter.
- If you want an even more pronounced orange flavor, add 1 teaspoon of orange zest when you add the juice and other ingredients.