- 1 Bridgford Ready-Dough frozen loaf
- 1 6-8 oz. bag of Sargento shredded cheese or Snack Bites™ of your choice
- 7 oz. sliced or cubed ham of your choice, in 16 even pieces
- Ground chipotle pepper (look in the spice section)
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
You will also need:
- A little bit of flour
- 2 baking sheets
- Kitchen brush
- Plastic wrap
- Defrost the loaf following the instructions in the bag, I like moving it from the freezer to the fridge the night before.
- Cut the loaf into 16 even pieces.
- Flour your hands. Take one piece of dough, make a well in the center, add a piece of ham and a little bit of cheese, or one piece of cheese if you are using the snack size. Pinch the dough on the bottom to close it up. Don’t feel afraid to pull the dough, it’s very flexible. Repeat until you finish with the 16 balls.
- Place the bread balls on the greased baking sheets. Brush olive oil on top, sprinkle with a little bit of grown chipotle pepper and finish with a little bit of cheese if you like.
- Loosely cover with plastic wrap and put the baking sheets in a warm place away from drafts. Let the bread balls rest until they double in size.
- Tip: I love baking in fall and winter but usually my kitchen is drafty and cold which makes it hard for the bread to rise so I warm up my oven to 100 degrees F (approx 37 degrees C), turn it off, then wait for a few minutes to make sure the temperature stays under 100 and place the baking sheets in the turned off oven for 20-30 minutes.
- Remove your baking sheets, from wherever you have been letting the bread balls rise, when they’ve doubled in size.
- Preheat oven. Remove plastic and place in oven.
- Bake at 350 degrees F (approx 180 degrees C) for 20 minutes or until golden brown. Let them cool down for 5 minutes and transfer to a rack.
- Eat with your favorite dipping sauce. I like salsa verde, guacamole and marinara.