For the vanilla bean biscuits:
- 2 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 1 egg + 1 egg yolk
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 vanilla bean
- sparkling sugar, for topping
For the shortcake:
- 1 1/2 cups cold heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon confectioners’ sugar
- 4 peaches, sliced in half and pits removed
- 1 – 2 pints Graeter’s Madagascar Vanilla Bean Ice Cream
- fresh mint, for garnish
- To make the vanilla bean biscuits, preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with a silicone mat or parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, stir together flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.
- Using a pastry blender, cut the butter into the flour mixture until the butter pieces are no bigger than the size of small peas.
- In a glass measuring cup, whisk together egg and heavy cream.
- Scrape the contents of the vanilla bean into the liquid mixture and whisk to blend.
- Add the wet ingredients to the bowl with the dry ingredients and gently fold together with a fork or spatula until a sticky dough has formed.
- Knead the dough a few times to ensure that all the dry ingredients are incorporated and the dough is cohesive.
- Transfer the dough to a well floured work surface and pat down until about 1 1/4 inches thick.
- Use a 3-inch round cookie or biscuit cutter to cut into 8 rounds.
- Whisk together egg yolk with one tablespoon water and brush tops of shortcakes.
- Sprinkle lightly with sugar.
- Place the shaped biscuits on the prepared baking sheet and bake until lightly browned, about 12 to 15 minutes.
- Let cool on baking sheet.
- To make the whipped cream, add the heavy cream to the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment.
- Beat on high speed until still peaks form.
- Add the sugar and whisk until blended; set aside.
- Preheat grill to medium.
- Grill peaches until tender, about 3 minutes on each side.
- To arrange the shortcakes, slice each biscuit in half.
- Divide the grilled peaches, ice cream, and whipped cream among the biscuits, layering over each. Top with the remaining biscuit halves, garnish with mint and enjoy!