Vanilla Bean Cream
- 1 1/2 cups LAND O LAKES® Half & Half
- 1/4 cup cup sugar
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- 1 vanilla bean, scrape seeds from inside bean*
- 2 Tbsp. cornstarch
- 2 LAND O LAKES® Eggs (yolks only)
- 2 Tbsp. LAND O LAKES® Butter
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup LAND O LAKES® Butter
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 large LAND O LAKES® Eggs
- 1/2 cup LAND O LAKES® Heavy Whipping Cream
- Fresh blueberries, raspberries, and strawberries, as desired
- Fresh mint leaves, as desired
*Substitute 1 tsp. vanilla extract. Add to vanilla cream with butter.
- Heat oven to 400°F.
- Combine 1 cup half & half, sugar, salt, and vanilla bean in medium saucepan; mix well. Bring to a simmer over medium heat, stirring until sugar is dissolved.
- Place remaining 1/2 cup half & half, cornstarch, and egg yolks in bowl; whisk until combined.
- Whisk small amount of hot milk mixture into egg yolk mixture. Pour egg yolk mixture back into remaining hot milk mixture. Bring to a boil, whisking constantly, until mixture thickens. Remove from heat.
- Pour mixture through a fine sieve into large bowl to strain. Stir in 2 tablespoons butter, stir until melted. Cover with plastic food wrap (pressing wrap onto surface of cream). Refrigerate until completely chilled.
- Combine water, butter and salt in saucepan. Cook over medium heat 5-10 minutes or until mixture comes to a full boil. Stir in flour vigorously until mixture forms ball. Remove from heat. Beat in 1 egg at a time until smooth.
- Drop dough by 1/4 cupfuls, about 3 inches apart, onto ungreased baking sheets. Bake 30-35 minutes or until puffed and lightly browned. Remove from oven. Pierce each puff gently with fork to allow steam to escape. Cool completely.
- Beat whipping cream in chilled bowl at high speed, scraping bowl often, until stiff peaks form. Gently fold into chilled pastry cream.
- Cut cream puffs in half horizontally. Layer bottom half with vanilla bean cream, fresh berries and ending with vanilla bean cream. Top with remaining half of cream puff.
- 10 servings
Adding a small amount of hot milk mixture to eggs first prevents eggs from scrambling. If your eggs do scramble a little bit, running mixture through a sieve should eliminate any chunks.