- 4 Bays Multi-Grain English Muffins, split and halved, and cut into strips
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups milk, divided
- 1 cup shredded Gruyere cheese
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 4 thick cut slices hardwood smoked bacon, coarsely chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 (10-ounce) package frozen mixed vegetables
- 2 (10 1/2-ounce) cans cream of chicken soup
- 3 cups shredded cooked chicken or turkey
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Coat a 2-quart baking dish with cooking spray.
- Beat the eggs and 1/2 cup of the milk in a medium bowl until well blended. Stir in the muffin cubes, Gruyere and Parmesan cheeses; set aside.
- Heat a 12-inch nonstick skillet over medium-high. Add the bacon and cook, stirring occasionally, until crisp, about 7 to 8 minutes. Transfer the bacon with a slotted spoon to a plate covered with paper towel; drain. Pour off all but 2 tablespoons of the bacon fat and return skillet to the stove. Add the onion and sauté until slightly softened, 3 to 4 minutes. Stir in the mixed vegetables; sauté until hot, 3-4 minutes. Stir in the soup and remaining 1 cup milk; bring to a boil and cook 1 minute. Remove from the heat and stir in the reserved bacon and chicken. Transfer the mixture to the prepared baking dish. Top the filling evenly with the muffin mixture.
- Bake until the topping is golden brown and the filling is bubbly, about 20 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool 5 minutes before serving.
- Note: if you’d prefer not to use bacon substitute 2 tablespoons of olive oil to sauté the onions.