- 1 cup (2 sticks) Land O' Lakes Butter
Nutrition Info (Per Serving)
- Calories 100
- Cholesterol 30mg
- Carbohydrate <1g
- Protein <1g
- Fat 11g
- Sodium 95mg
- Dietary Fiber 0g
- Cut butter into small evenly-sized pieces. Place into light-colored, heavy-duty 10-inch skillet or 1- quart saucepan.
- Melt butter over medium heat. Swirl butter in pan or stir occasionally to make sure butter cooks evenly.
- As butter melts, it will begin to foam. Watch butter closely. The color will progress from a bright yellow to a golden tan, then quickly to a deep golden brown.
- When you smell a nutty aroma, butter is deep golden brown and browned milk solids appear in bottom of pan, take pan off the heat. Immediately transfer browned butter to heat-proof bowl.
- Once browned butter is cool to room temperature, transfer to glass container with tight-fitting lid. Store in refrigerator up to 2 weeks.
Brown butter can be made with either salted or unsalted butter. Most often it is made with unsalted.
To strain or not to strain?
The brown bits add lots of flavor to browned butter. Straining may be preferred if making a sauce to serve over pasta.