How to Make a Charcuterie “Snacklebox”
The “snacklebox” is all the rage on TikTok these days. But what is a snacklebox you may ask? Simply put: it’s a snack box using a tackle box. Think of it as charcuterie on-the-go! You can customize it any way you like — cheeses, meats, fruits, veggies, nuts, candies, etc. The dividers in the tackle box make it the perfect container. Hint: if adding juicy foods like olives or strawberries, add a layer of plastic wrap to keep the liquid at bay.
Supplies You’ll Need:
- A tackle box – any size you like!
- Cheeses of your choice – cracker cuts, chunks, cubes, string cheese and more
- Choice of deli meats – pepperoni, salami, ham, turkey – really any meat you love!
- Toasted English muffins, crackers, breadsticks, toasted bagel pieces, pretzels or pita triangles
- Fresh cut veggies – tomatoes, broccoli, carrots, celery, etc.
- Vegetable dip
- Fresh cut fruits – grapes, orange slices, strawberries, blueberries work great!
- Yogurt – any flavor, will be used as a fruit dip
- Mini-chocolate chips (optional)
- Pickles and Olives (if you wish)
- Candies such as licorice, gummy bears, jelly beans or any kind of sweet treats you desire!
- Feel free to add your favorite snacks, too!
Prepping the Container:
- Make sure your tackle box is thoroughly washed and dried before filling.
- Before adding “juicy” items like pickles and olives, make sure you add a layer of plastic wrap to keep the liquid from leaking under the dividers and soaking your crackers or other soft foods.
Prepping the Food:
- If needed, dice cheeses into smaller, bite-sized pieces to fit in the compartments of the tackle box.
- Slice meat into chunks, or fold over to fit in the tackle box.
- Toast English muffins or bagels and slice into bite-sized pieces.
- Wash and cut fresh fruits and veggies into small chunks, if needed. Remove grapes from the vine.
- Drain pickles and olives to remove as much liquid as possible.
Assembling the Snacklebox:
- Add the veggie dip and yogurt to their compartments.
- Next, carefully add pickles or olives to their plastic-wrapped areas.
- Add the remainder of the ingredients to the tackle box
- For an added touch to the yogurt fruit dip, sprinkle mini-chocolate chips on top.
If you are not planning to eat the snacklebox right away – it’s best to put only the refrigerated items in the tackle box. Keep the box refrigerated or in a cooler until you are ready to dive in and snack. Add the non-refrigerated items, like crackers, candy or nuts right before you serve.