April 19, 2021
Discover the Benefits of Soy Foods
April is National Soy Foods Month. Soy foods are made from soybeans, a legume, named so because it grows in pods containing seeds or “beans.” Soybeans are an excellent source of high-quality protein, making foods made with soybeans a great protein source for people following a strict vegetarian diet.
These are just some of the benefits of soy according to the Cleveland Clinic:
- Eating soy is a great way to increase your plant protein. Research indicates that including more plant protein in your diet has clear cardiovascular benefits, such as lowering blood pressure.
- Soy foods are naturally cholesterol-free and low in saturated fat.
- Eating soy-based foods is a great way to boost your fiber intake.
- Soy foods are a good source of polyunsaturated fat which has a number of heart health benefits, such as lowering cholesterol.
- Soy foods contain omega-3 fats, essential polyunsaturated fats. Omega-3 fats are linked to a lower risk of cardiovascular disease.
Today, there are so many new soy-based products available in grocery stores. Try these frozen and refrigerated products and recipes to boost the soy in your diet.
- With grilling season fast approaching, plant-based Burger Patties look, cook and taste just like beef.
- Use soy milk to make this Cinnamon Breakfast Quinoa for a creamy, delicious, gluten-free way to start the day.
- Make Meatless Monday extra tasty by adding Italian Sausage Style Crumbles to your favorite pasta dish.
- Perfect for any fiesta, Loaded Avocados with Chipotle Crema are stuffed with goodness.
- Tantalize your taste buds while getting an extra boost of protein with this Vegetable Pad Thai.
- Satisfy your chocolate craving with a glass of Chocolate Soymilk.
- For easier dinner clean-up. make One Pot Spaghetti and “Meatballs” starring meatballs made from soy and pea proteins.
- There’s no guilt with these easy, delicious, and crispy Seven Grain Chick’n Tenders.
- For breakfast on-the-go, heat up a Sausage, Egg & Cheese Vegetarian Breakfast Sandwich that contains 15g of protein.
- Two great tastes in this Chili Mac & Cheese combine for a perfectly spiced organic meal!
- So creamy and scrumptious, you’ll never know this Dairy Free Raspberry Yogurt is made with soy.
- Baked Coconut Tofu features marinated tofu tossed in crunchy shredded coconut–yum!
- When you need a tasty meal or portable snack try these Plant-Based Philly Cheesesteak Pocket Pie.
- Be your own barista at home with a refreshing Vanilla Iced Latte!
- Delicious soybeans-in-the-shell, or Edamame, have long been a popular snack. Just toss with sesame oil and salt.
- For an oh-so smooth, dairy-free treat, Creamy Vanilla Soymilk Dessert is a quart of deliciousness.
- Satisfy your pizza craving with a plant-based supreme, pepperoni or meat lovers pizza!
- Your family will come running to the breakfast table when you serve up these Vegan Gluten Free Blueberry Yogurt Waffles.
How do you incorporate soy foods into your diet? Share with us on social media @EasyHomeMeals.