Recipe At A Glance
Sometimes the simplest things are the best and this Broccoli Cheddar Casserole is one of them. Whether you serve this with burgers for a quick weeknight dinner or it’s part of your Thanksgiving Day line up, get ready for lots of ooh’s and aah’s. And since it starts with a few freezer and refrigerator shortcuts, all the better.
- 3 Tbsp. butter
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 2 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup chicken broth
- 1-1/2 cups half-and-half
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 (12-oz.) package frozen broccoli florets, thawed
- 8 oz.mushrooms, sliced
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- 1/2 cup coarsely crushed butter crackers
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Coat a 9- x 13-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- In a deep skillet over medium heat, melt butter. Add onion and cook 3 minutes. Stir in flour and cook 2 minutes. Add broth and half-and-half and heat until mixture begins to thicken, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat, add 1-1/2 cups of cheese, and stir until melted. Stir in broccoli, mushrooms, rice, garlic powder, salt, and pepper; mix well. Spoon mixture into baking dish and cover with aluminum foil. Bake 25 minutes.
- In a small bowl, mix crushed crackers and remaining 1/2 cup cheese. Uncover casserole, sprinkle cheese mixture on top, and continue to bake 10 to 15 more minutes or until golden and bubbly.
Mr. Food Test Kitchen Tip: This is a great way to use up leftover rice or you can buy packages of precooked rice, how easy is that?