Recipe At A Glance
Mr. Food Test Kitchen's homemade Chocolate Dipped Ice Cream Sandwiches are made with freshly baked chocolate chip cookies and your favorite ice cream flavors. To make them extra-special they dipped theirs in chocolate and add lots of nuts and colorful candy pieces. This may just be the coolest treat you'll eat all summer!
- 1 (32-oz.) package refrigerated chocolate chip cookie dough
- Half gallon vanilla ice cream (see Note)
- 1 (12-oz.) bag semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 tsp. vegetable oil
- Assorted nuts and candy for garnish
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Using a sharp knife, cut cookie dough into 24 slices, and bake according to package directions. Remove cookies to a wire rack to cool.
2. Line a baking sheet with wax paper. Allow ice cream to soften slightly then place 1 scoop on the flat side of a cookie; place another cookie flat-side down on ice cream. Squeeze the 2 cookies together until the ice cream is pushed to the edges. Place on baking sheet and freeze for 30 minutes.
3. In a medium microwaveable bowl, combine chocolate chips and oil. Microwave for 1 to 1-1/2 minutes, stirring occasionally until chocolate is melted. Dip ice cream sandwiches halfway into chocolate and immediately garnish with nuts or candy. Freeze until chocolate hardens. Serve or individually wrap in plastic wrap and keep frozen until ready to serve.
Note: Feel free to change up the filling by using your favorite flavors of ice cream, sorbet or frozen yogurt.