Recipe At A Glance
Who says Mac & Cheese is just for kids? Try this sophisticated twist on a classic comfort food!
Featured ProductGreen Giant Veggie Spirals Butternut Squash
- 1 (12-oz.) package Green Giant Veggie Spirals™ Butternut Squash
- 8 oz.cooked lean ground beef, drained
- 3 Tbsp. salted butter
- 3 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups 2% milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/3 cup plain panko breadcrumbs
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Cook the Green Giant Veggie Spirals™ Butternut Squash according to package directions, drain and keep warm.
- Preheat a medium nonstick sauce pot over medium heat. Add the butter and let melt. Whisk in the flour and stir rapidly until a paste-like consistency is formed. Continuing stirring about 1 minute.
- Add the milk and quickly whisk in until the sauce has a smooth consistency. Stir occasionally until slightly thickened, about 4 minutes.
- Fold in the salt and cheese and stir until cheese has completely melted.
- In a large bowl mix together the cooked beef, cheese sauce, and warm butternut spirals until everything is well coated.
- Pour mixture into a pre-greased oven proof dish (2.2 quart or 7”x9” dish) and top with breadcrumbs.
- Place in the oven until mixture is bubbling and breadcrumbs begin to brown, about 15 minutes. Serve hot. Sprinkle with salt and pepper as desired.
- To spice things up, replace the ground beef with ground chorizo.
- Use any mixture of shredded cheese to change up the flavor of the sauce (Pepper Jack, Swiss, Parmesan, etc.)
- Replace breadcrumbs with chopped tortilla chips for an even crunchier topping.