“You Want Fries With That?” It’s French Fries Day!
While today is not only Friday the 13th, it’s also National French Fries Day! There’s something so satisfying and maybe even
a little addicting about fries. Between the saltiness, crispiness on the outside and velvety smoothness on the inside, we just can’t get enough. We may even go as far to say that comfort food is synonymous with French fries.
President Thomas Jefferson first brought the French fries concept to America in the early 1800s after having sliced, fried potatoes while serving as the American ambassador to France. While fries have been enjoyed since at least 1760 in France, many question where the first fried potatoes truly originated. In Belgium, villagers along the River Meuse traditionally ate fried fish, but would fry potatoes in the winter instead when the river froze. Thus, there is much debate whether our beloved “French fries” are in fact French. American soldiers first came across fries during World War I in Belgium and since the dominant language in Belgium is French, they supposedly named them “French fries.” What do you think?
While there are at least 18 types of French fries, you can find a variety of kinds and brands in the frozen food aisle, such:
- Crinkle Cut French Fries
- Steak Fries
- House Cut Fries with Sea Salt
- Seasoned Waffle Cut Fries
- Golden Twirls
- Crispy Truffle Fries
- Sweet Potato Fries with Sea Salt
- Hand Cut Style Fries
- Crispy Rosemary Fries with Sea Salt
- Yukon Select Garlic Fries
- Waffle Cut Sweet Potato Seasoned Fries
Whatever type of french fries you prefer, dress them up with these recipe ideas:
- We seriously can’t resist the combination of fries, bacon, cheese and ranch in these Loaded Cheese Fries!
- Give your favorite Mexican snack a twist with Nacho Fries.
- Fire up your taste buds for these Kickin’ Chili Cheese Fries.
- The flavor combination in this recipe for Balsamic Sweet Potato Fries will blow you away!
- We bet you won’t be able to eat just one of these Parmesan Fries.
- Enjoy this take on the classic Canadian dish with this recipe for Anytime Poutine.
- Give your ordinary cheese fries a unique spin with Mexican Sweet Potato Cheese Fries!
- These Cheesy Chicken Fried “Chips” are filling enough to be a main course.
- This Italian classic is even better paired with fries in this recipe for Caprese Loaded French Fries.
- The savory and sweet flavors in this Sweet Potato Fry Quesadilla will have your taste buds screaming for more!
- Turn your favorite Thai dish into a delicious appetizer with these Chicken Pad Thai Fries!
- As if enchiladas weren’t already yummy–try these Enchilada Fries for dinner.
- These Loaded Chipotle Shrimp Waffle Fry Nachos will totally become a family favorite.
- If you like curry then you’ll surely love these Curried Crinkle Cut Fries!
- Fries for breakfast? Yes please! Whip up this Waffle-Fry-Crusted Quiche.
- Turn your favorite curly fries into Au Gratin Potato Whips!
Are you a regular French fries or sweet potato fries fan? What’s your favorite way to eat fries? Share with us on social media @EasyHomeMeals!