Our Favorite Ice Cream Novelties for Summer
What could be better than a portable ice cream treat? From cones to bars and sandwiches to popsicles, ice cream novelties are some of America’s favorite summer treats. These sweets were deemed as novel, or new, because they were the first pre-made ice cream desserts available when they appeared in the early 20th century. The first widely available ice cream novelties appeared as popsicles and ice cream bars during the 1920s.
Did you know these ice cream novelties facts?
- The popsicle was invented by Frank Epperson in 1905 when he accidentally left a glass – filled with water, powdered soda mix and a wooden stick for stirring – outside overnight. In 1923, Epperson filed for a patent for his invention.
- Cherry is the most popular popsicle flavor.
- The twin popsicle was invented during the Great Depression so two siblings could share an ice pop for the price of one.
- The red, white and blue “Bomb Pop” was first invented by James S. Merritt and D.S. Abernethy in 1955.
- The ice cream sandwich was created in 1899 in New York City by an unknown pushcart peddler. The heat from the hands helped to soften the ice cream, making it easier to eat.
- In 1928, the Parker Brothers, Bruce, I.C., and J.T., added to the ice cream cone invention by adding a chocolate coating with nuts. One of the brothers’ wives said that this invention looked like a chicken leg, commonly nicknamed a drumstick in the US – hence where the original name came from.
Served on a stick
- Jolly Rancher Bomb Pop – The bold flavors of your favorite Jolly Ranchers are stuck on a stick.
- Creamsicle – Indulge in the classic creamy orange flavor for a delicious 100 calorie frozen treat.
- Rootbeer Float and Cream Johnny Pop – Nostalgia sets in with every bite of this perfectly creamy Root Beer & Cream pop.
- Coconut Lime Bar – With delicious lime light ice cream, hints of coconut and a graham cracker swirl, it’s like the ultimate beach day packed into bar form.
- Cool Tubes – Tasty orange fat free sherbet in a push tube is a great outdoor treat!
Cool comfort in a cone
- Strawberry Shortcake Mini Swirls – Strawberry ice cream with a swirl of strawberry dipped in whipped cream flavored coating topped with cake pieces in a shortbread cone.
- M&Ms Ice Cream Cone – The classic colorful candy-coated chocolate bits top vanilla ice cream in a cone.
- Marshmallow Peanut Butter Swirl Cone – Marshmallow, peanut butter and mini chocolate chips in a protein-packed cone with a dash of hemp, chickpeas and quinoa.
- Snickers Ice Cream Cone – It’s easy to keep your cool with your favorite candy bar in a cone.
- Cookies ‘n Cream Sundae Cone – Cookies ‘n Cream reduced fat ice cream in a sugar cone dipped in white coating and topped with chocolate cookie pieces.
Best in a bar
- Twix Triple Chocolate Ice Cream Bar – Rich & creamy chocolate ice cream, smooth caramel and crunchy chocolate cookies are surrounded by chocolatey coating.
- Dulche de Leche Cookie Squares – A dark chocolate cookie topped with dulce de leche ice cream and swirls of luscious caramel coated in a milk chocolate shell.
- Nutt’n Better Bar – Creamy peanut butter ice cream topped with caramel and peanuts dipped in chocolate flavored coating.
- Milky Way Ice Cream Bar – Rich and creamy chocolate ice cream with caramel.
- Minute Maid Juice Bars – Easy to eat and bursting with 100% fruit juice refreshment in every bite.
- Neapolitan Ice Cream Sandwich – All your favorite flavors of chocolate, vanilla and strawberry ice cream layered between chocolate wafers.
- M&Ms Vanilla Cookie Sandwich – a classic M&Ms cookie sandwiches rich vanilla ice cream
- Peanut Butter ‘N Chocolate Ice Cream Sandwich – This chocolate ice cream sandwich with a peanut butter ribbon is a winning partnership!
- S’mores Ice Cream Sandwich – Premium Marshmallow and Chocolate Chip Ice Cream sandwiched between Chocolate and Graham Cracker Wafers.
- Chocolate Hazelnut Ice Cream Sandwich – Smooth and creamy chocolate light ice cream, swirled with hazelnut and stuck it between two rich, chocolaty wafers.
- Watermelon Agave GoodPop – Made from freshly cut and juiced watermelons and lightly sweetened with Fair Trade Organic agave nectar.
- Dipped Coconut Almond Bar – Smooth, creamy coconutmilk dipped in crunchy, chocolatey deliciousness. Get ready to dream in dairy-free.
- Coconut Caramel Dark Chocolate Non-Dairy Bar – Velvety coconut cream is swirled with ribbons of luscious caramel sauce, then dipped in dark chocolate.
- Coconut Bliss Cold Brew Latte Bar – An invigorating blend of full-bodied fair trade coffee with coconut milk.
- Fruit Bars – A fruity, flavorful treat to enjoy with zero guilt.
- Coffee & Biscotti Bunny Snacks – Biscotti cookie with coffee ice cream topped with fudge sauce and chocolate espresso pieces covered with chocolate coating.
- Dove Miniature Variety Bars – Mini bars of chocolate and vanilla ice cream dipped in milk or dark chocolate.
- Green Tea Mochi – Traditional Matcha Green Tea Powder is infused into ice cream and covered in slightly sweetened mochi dough to create a fan favorite.
- Snickers Ice Cream Bar Minis – The satisfaction of Snickers in mini-sized ice cream bars.
- Dole Dark Chocolate Pineapple Dippers – Plunge into the exciting taste of frozen real pineapple dipped into rich, dark chocolate.
What ice cream novelty will you chill out with this summer? Share with us on social media @EasyHomeMeals.