Go Nuts for these Homemade Doughnuts this Donut Day!
Celebrated on the first Friday of June, this year National Donut Day is today, June 3rd! Did you know this sweet holiday has been around for almost 80 years? It began when the Salvation Army provided donuts as a fundraiser to raise funds during the Great Depression. Founded in 1938, National Donut Day honors the women, or “Doughnut Lassies”, from the Salvation Army who served donuts to soldiers during World War I to raise moral. Sometimes donuts were even cooked in oil inside the metal helmets of soldiers!
Many prefer to get donuts from their local convenience store or favorite donut shop, but why not try these easy recipes at home? After all, it is now June Dairy Month and you can find most donut ingredients right in the dairy aisle!
Keep it old-fashioned with these classic donut recipes:
- Glazed is where it’s at! Visit the dairy aisle to pick up the necessities for Baked Glazed Doughnuts—starting with the biscuit dough!
- These Chocolate Glazed Donuts will provide the answers to all of life’s questions.
- Old-Fashioned Sour Cream Doughnuts with that creamy, sugary glaze are the best!
- It doesn’t have to be fall to enjoy Baked Apple Cider Donuts sprinkled with cinnamon.
These donuts are stuffed with tasty fillings of all flavors and styles:
- For the peanut butter fans out there, make Peanut Butter Cream Filled Donuts and you won’t go back.
- Boston Cream Donuts with homemade filling and glaze are sure to satisfy that sweet tooth!
- Grab your favorite fruity filling to make traditional “Sufganiyot”, more commonly known as Jelly Filled Donuts.
- If vanilla is more your thing, Vanilla Cream-Filled Doughnuts fit the bill!
- For something a little different, check out these summery Grape Jelly Filled Honey Lemon Doughnuts.
Go the non-traditional route and try these eclectic recipes for donuts:
- It’s only going to get hotter outside—gather some fun sundae toppings like sprinkles or nuts and make Donut Ice Cream Sandwiches!
- Grab some waffles from the freezer and make these Glazed Waffle Donuts for a weekend breakfast treat.
- Who doesn’t love red velvet? Check out this Baked Red Velvet Cream Cheese Donut recipe and bake donuts rather than fry them!
- Mini things are all the rage! These Mini Baked Donuts with Salted Caramel Sauce are a perfect grab-and-go treat.
- Make it mess-free! Put Doughnut Hole Pops on a stick and cover it colorful jimmies or other toppings.
Let us know your favorite fillings, toppings or donut styles in the comments below.! Happy Donut Day!