Get in the Christmas Spirit with National Cookie Day
December 4 is National Cookie Day! Make memories with loved ones and get in the Christmas spirit by baking and decorating cookies together. Christmas cookies are not only fun to decorate, they’re even more exciting to give as festive, edible gifts.
Here are a few fun tips from our friends at Pillsbury on making the perfect Christmas cookies:
– When making cookie dough from scratch, make sure butter is at room temperature and soft enough for a finger to leave a mark on it when touched. This ensures the best quality for mixing your dough!
– Be diligent in making sure your cookie dough thickness is rolled out evenly; this way your cookies will be uniform.
– Leave about two inches between cut-out cookies on the baking sheet so that they have room to spread when baking.
– Don’t leave cookies on the baking sheet to cool – move them to a cooling rack within a minute so that they do not continue to bake.
Keep it classic with these tasty sugar cookies:
- These Holiday Cut-Out Sugar Cookies are perfect for decorating with your favorite toppings, like sprinkles, chocolate and colored sugar!
- If you’re looking for a rich and creamy texture, these Sour Cream Sugar Cookies are perfect.
- Ricotta Holiday Cookies incorporate smooth ricotta cheese in both the cookie dough and the frosting!
- Linzer Sandwich Cookies are an Austrian holiday cookie with a cutout showing off the sweet filling inside.
- No time for homemade cookies? No problem! Ready to Bake! Confetti cookies are oh-so-easy to just pop in the oven and bake!
If you’re into festive flavors, look no further than these recipes:
- This Gingerbread People recipe lets you get creative with decorating!
- Quick Snickerdoodles are made with only four ingredients and ready in less than an hour.
- A sweet surprise in the middle makes these Peppermint Chocolate Crinkle Cookies a holiday delight!
- If you’re a fan of eggnog, you’ll love these stunning Spiced Eggnog Cookies.
- These Candy Cane Cookies are easier than you may think, with just three ingredients!
- Winter is the best time to indulge in these spectacular Hot Chocolate Pudding Cookies.
Don’t forget about these traditional cookie faves:
- You really can’t go wrong with Ready to Bake! Chocolate Chip Cookies.
- These Oatmeal Raisin Cookies are another cookie you can’t say no to.
- Peanut butter and chocolate pair perfectly together in this Quick Peanut Butter Blossoms recipe.
- Ready to Bake! Big Deluxe White Chunk Macadamia Nut Cookies have just the right hint of crunchy nut and smooth chocolate flavor.
- Almond Cookies have that perfect light and almondy flavor.
These fun and vibrant flavors are so fun to bake:
- Did you know that Russian Tea Cakes are filled with pecans and coated with sweet powdered sugar?
- These Special Edition Hershey’s Cookies ‘n’ Creme cookies are so dreamy!
- For a gluten-free treat, try these creamy Key Lime Melt Aways!
- Dulce de Leche Cookies are the way to go if you’re wanting a sweet and chocolatey cookie.
- These Orange Cardamom Cookies are zesty and dairy-free!
Now that the baking is complete, be sure to follow these cookie storage tips:
– Once the icing has set, store cookies in airtight containers with a waxed paper between layers; they’ll stay fresh at room temperature for about a week.
– Throw a piece of bread in the container with your cookies – this makes your cookies stay soft since the bread soaks up moisture!
– Unfrosted cookies keep best in tight-fitting containers for up to 12 months in the freezer.
– Frosted cookies should be stored in rigid containers with wax paper in between layers for up to two months in the freezer.
What’s your favorite kind of Christmas cookie? Share with us on social media @EasyHomeMeals!