Embrace the Deliciousness of National Gluten-Free Day!
Today is National Gluten-Free Day – a day to celebrate all the delicious gluten-free meal options available! You’ve probably heard of gluten-free or “GF” and seen its designation on many packages in the grocery store. But what exactly is “gluten”? It is the common name for proteins in specific grains like wheat, rye, barley and triticale. So what purpose does gluten serve in foods? Well, it makes dough elastic-y and provides chewiness to breads and baked goods. Gluten is what holds baked goods, pastas and breads together and can actually be found in non-food products like some cosmetics and medications.
If you’re new to gluten-free eating and shopping, check out these helpful rules for shopping gluten-free from GlutenFree.com: Gluten Intolerance Group Toolkit. It’s important to those who follow a gluten free diet to read labels carefully to make sure they can safely consume what products they are buying. Luckily, gluten-free products have increased in availability and variety and a large variety of products can be found today (especially in the frozen food section)!
Many brands now offer gluten-free products or product lines such as Amy’s Kitchen, which offers a variety of entrees including:
- Serve up Family Size Broccoli & Cheddar Bake as a side dish with your favorite protein and a veggie for a complete meal!
- In the mood for Mexican food? Satisfy your craving Cheese Tamale Verde, a combination of cheese, chilies, jalapenos and topped with sauce and a side of rice.
- Amy’s even makes ice cream – Cool Scoops Mint Chocolate Chip ice cream is made with organic coconut milk!
- Looking for something savory for breakfast? This Tofu Scramble Breakfast Wrap is perfectly stuffed with tofu, hash browns and veggies!
Saffron Road offers gourmet frozen entrees using premium products and fresh flavors like:
- Tandoori Seasoned Chicken Nuggets with just the right amount of heat are great as a snack or lunchtime dish.
- The fire-grilled sirloin, Bulgogi sauce, brown rice and colorful vegetables of Beef Bulgogi will make you feel like you’re eating a dish from a 5-star restaurant!
- This Vegetable Pad Thai is full of authentic rice noodles, tofu and veggies all in a tasty peanut sauce.
- Enchiladas al Chipotle served with black beans and garlic rice is a hearty meal for a quick bite or a late night dinner.
Beginning in 1994, Udi’s complete line of products is gluten free and available at more than 16,000 retailer locations:
- Grab a Sausage Breakfast Sandwich on your way to work, after your early morning workout or if you need a mid-morning pick-me-up.
- Creamy cheese lovers will go crazy over this Mac & Cheese Bakeable Meal.
- Save the money from going to a burrito joint and instead try this Chicken, Bean & Cheddar Lunch/Dinner Burrito
- One pan and ten minutes is all that separates you from this easy Chicken Florentine Skillet Meal!
Ian’s offers gluten-free and many whole grain snacks and entrees great for any occasion such as:
- These premium, wild-caught Herb Crusted Fish Filets are delicious in fish tacos, as a sandwich or on its own!
- Get your barbeque fix with these Smokin’ Sweet BBQ Chicken Nuggets.
- Kids and adults alike will love these bite-sized Popcorn Uncured Turkey Corn Dogs!
In the mood for pizza? Freschetta’s Gluten-Free Pizza line is certified by the Celiac Support Association and will totally satisfy that pizza craving:
- Have a family pizza night? Bake up a FRESCHETTA ® Gluten Free Thin & Crispy Signature Pepperoni Pizza or 4 Cheese Medley Pizza!
- Add some flare to your night with these delicious ideas starring Freschetta gluten-free pizzas!
- If you’re flying solo, enjoy a FRESCHETTA ® Gluten Free Single Serve pizza in Signature Pepperoni or 4 Cheese Medley!
What are your favorite gluten-free brands or products? Share in the comments below!