21 Delish Recipes for National Nachos Day
The best day of the year is here – it’s National Nachos Day! We bet you all know what nachos are, but do you know where they came from – and when? Nachos date back to 1943 in Piedras Negras, a small Mexican city near a military base close to the Texas border. A group of military wives came to the Victory Club in Piedras Negras after finding that all the nearby restaurants were closed. A chef at the club named Ignacio Anaya felt bad for the ladies and decided to make something out of what was left in the kitchen. He sliced tortillas and fried them, then covered them with shredded cheese and sliced jalapenos and baked the dish in the oven. Ignacio called his creation “Nachos Especiales” after himself – “Nacho” is a nickname for the name Ignacio.
And just like that, one of the most popular dishes was born! Today you can find nachos in restaurants and kitchens around the country. People customize nachos to their liking – with various cheeses, meats, veggies, salsas – the possibilities are truly endless. In more recent years, nachos seem to have expanded beyond using just tortilla chips! Now you can find recipes far and wide that use potato chips, tater tots, pierogies, etc. as the base instead of tortilla chips. You can even enjoy sweet nachos with inventive dessert nacho recipes. Dive into these cheesy creations for National Nachos Day!
Nachos Loaded with Meat:
- Not Your Momma’s Nachos take these mini beef & cheese tacos to the next level!
- These aren’t your typical nachos – these Baked Italian Nachos are loaded with mozzarella and meatballs!
- Roasted Chicken Nachos are a little bit spicy but a lot of delicious!
- Whether you eat these Breakfast Nachos for breakfast or at dinner time, we won’t judge!
- Philly Avocado Crema Steak Nachos are smothered in the best creamy avocado lime sauce!
Nacho Average Nachos:
- Switch up your ordinary nachos and make these shrimp-tastic Popcorn Shrimp Nachos instead!
- Black Bean Nachos are made with pita chips and cottage cheese for a unique nacho dish.
- Macho Nachos use meatless ground but are still topped with your fave add-ons!
- These Japanese-Style Grilled Nachos are full of shrimp with a sweet and savory sauce.
- For some unique flair and extra protein, enjoy these Greek-Style Nachos!
- Nacho Average Nachos are a vegetarian option that’s super colorful!
Non-Tortilla Chip Nachos:
- You will love these Pub Style Nachos – complete with sliced russet potatoes.
- These Potato Chip Nachos are topped with goodies like bacon, sour cream and tomatoes.
- Blue Cheese Burger Totchos are filled with all the toppings from your favorite burger, only on tots!
- Anytime Egg Nachos are cleverly made with sliced sweet potatoes as the base!
- You’ll love these pizza-inspired Meatless Pizza Nachos, covered with veggies for an Italian twist!
- Great for an appetizer or main course, these Pierogi Nachos are topped with all things delicious.
Nachos for Dessert – Because Why Not!:
- Served with vanilla ice cream on top, these Cinnamon Dessert Nachos are SO scrumptious!
- With only five ingredients, these Pie Crust Nachos are so easy to make!
- These Pear & Nachos are a guilt-free dessert that’s perfect for fall!
- Creamy Dessert Nachos with Tropical Fruit Salsa are everything you didn’t know you needed for dessert!
What’s your favorite kind of nachos? Share with us on social media @EasyHomeMeals!