19 National Grilled Cheese Day Recipes You’ll Devour
Today is National Grilled Cheese Day – a cheesy day to be celebrated around the country! Grilled cheese started out as “toasted cheese sandwiches” in the early 1900s when grated cheese was combined with salad dressing or mustard and toasted between two slices of toasted bread. These sandwiches were very cheap and easy to make, making them popular among families during the Depression era. One of America’s favorite food combinations was created when school cafeterias starting pairing tomato soup with grilled cheese sandwiches to meet the dietary requirements for school lunches. Kraft Foods introduced Kraft Singles in 1949, making grilled cheeses even easier to make with its individually wrapped cheese slices.
Today, any cheese or bread you can imagine are used to create the most delicious of grilled cheese sandwiches. Additional “toppings” like make this popular sandwich even more indulgent – and the possibilities are endless! Try these fun recipes for National Grilled Cheese Day (or for any day)!
Classic Cheesy Combos
- Ooey Gooey Bacon Grilled Cheese uses Heluva Good to create this next-level sandwich!
- Try a Garden Grilled Cheese Sandwich, stuffed with crunchy veggies and creamy cottage cheese.
- A Smoky French Onion Grilled Cheese is a great way to transform your favorite soup into a sandwich!
- Ham and cheese is one of those classic combos you can’t go wrong with and this Ham & Cheese Grill is no exception!
- This Three Cheese Panini uses sourdough English muffins to surround three types of cheese and bacon.
- You’ll never go back to a boring breakfast sandwich again with this Zesty Fried Egg Sandwich with Creamy Provolone Cheese.
- A Swiss & Beef Grilled Cheese is a hearty and filling sandwich that won’t disappoint.
Stuffed with Goodies
- Turkey Bacon & Tomato Grilled Cheese is like a BLT – but better!
- Buffalo chicken fans rejoice! This Buffalo Chicken Grilled Cheese is unlike any grilled cheese you’ve had before.
- Did you know you can have lasagna in sandwich form? Give this stuffed Lasagna Grilled Cheese a try!
- These mini Grilled Canadian Bacon, Tomato & Cheese Sandwiches are perfect for a quick breakfast.
- This Italian Grilled Cheese is everything you love about a classic Italian hoagie, but on toasted bread instead!
- This Pulled Pork Grilled Cheese is oh-so-indulgent and absolutely delish!
- Rich flavors combine to create this Brown Sugar Pecans, Sweet Bacon and Havarti Grilled Cheese.
- This sweet and savory Dessert Grilled Cheese is covered with your favorite chocolate-hazelnut spread.
- Why not have a grilled cheese for breakfast? This Strawberry Waffle Grilled Cheese is a great way to kick off your morning.
- A Blueberry, Apple & Balsamic Grilled Gouda is a delicious combination spread on on cinnamon bread with rich gouda.
- This Prosciutto & Apple Grilled Cheese with Fig Jam and Sharp Cheddar is so flavorful with bold cheese flavors and a hint of sweet fig and apple!
- Honey, almond butter and jam make this sweet Ricotta Almond Butter and Jam Grilled Cheese so amazingly tasty!
- Heat and enjoy this Philly Cheesesteak Grilled Cheese for two classic sandwiches in one.
- These Grilled Cheese Sticks are the perfect accompaniment to tomato soup!
- You won’t know what you’ve been missing until you’ve had this Sweet & Smoky Pork Grilled Cheese!
What are you favorite grilled cheese combos or ingredients? Share with us on social media @EasyHomeMeals!