18 Portable Ideas for International Picnic Day
Today is June 18, and that means it’s International Picnic Day. It’s time to grab your gingham blanket and picnic basket, and get ready to eat outdoors! When planning what food and beverages you’ll have at your picnic it’s important to keep in mind that items should be easy to transport and not overly complicated.
Follow these helpful picnic tips:
1. Wicker baskets are cute but not always practical when picnicking outdoors. An insulated cooler bag (bonus if it has pockets) is a better option for transporting cold food and drinks.
2. The whole charm of having a picnic is eating outdoors on a blanket – so don’t forget a big enough blanket that you would be okay with if it got grass stains.
3. Keep your items cold with ice packs – even if you’re only going from your kitchen to your backyard.
4. Mason jars aren’t just fun to drink out of, they can be used to store salads, dressings, condiments, etc.
5. Pack sturdy plates and utensils so you won’t make a mess while eating on a blanket.
6. Bring along paper towels and/or wipes for an easier clean-up–and don’t forget a garbage bag or two.
Add these recipes to your picnic menu:
- These portable Perfect Picnic Sandwiches are a must for your picnic basket.
- Just because you’re eating outside doesn’t mean you can’t have a warm appetizer, like these delicious Loaded Picnic Waffle Fries!
- Keep these Dilly Deviled Eggs cool while transporting to your picnic.
- These Layered Mason Jars Farro and Chickpea Salad are portable and ready to be enjoyed while sitting on a blanket!
- For another sandwich option, whip up these Picnic Club Sandwiches.
- There’s no need for a fork with these scrumptious and adorable Carrot Cake Cookie Cups!
- This Three Cheese Picnic Torta is perfect for cheese lovers.
- For another picnic option, make this tasty Taco Salad with Creamy Chipotle Dressing.
- Everyone will love this Lemon Picnic Cake with Berries
- These Caprese Open-Faced Sandwiches will be a hit with your picnic guests!
- This Roasted Pepper and Pesto Dip will steal the show at your picnic.
- You can’t have a picnic without a cocktail–make refreshing Orange Pineapple Moscow Mules for the adults in your group.
- Surprise your picnic guets with a Banana Split-Fruit Pizza!
- This Sunny Creamy Tahini Pasta Salad will brighten up your picnic menu.
- These Fro Yo Mini Pies can be customized with different yogurt flavors and fruits.
- Egg Salad is a great option for sandwiches, wraps, lettuce wraps or even as a dip with crackers.
- End the picnic with something sweet like this Peach Upside Down Cake!
- For a dairy-free option, make this Summer Quinoa Salad with Creamy Lemon Dressing.
What are your go-to picnic ideas? Share with us on social media @EasyHomeMeals.