17 Scrumptious Salads for National Salad Month!
May is National Salad Month, which is a great time to enjoy refreshing recipes as the spring season continues. The Association for Dressing and Sauces (an international association that represents the manufacturers and suppliers of salad dressings and sauces to the industry) actually established National Salad Month in 1992! This food holiday encourages people to incorporate more greens into their daily regimen and enjoy the endless options that salads bring to the table.
Here are a few fun facts you may or may not have known about salads:
– Lettuce is the most popular fresh vegetable in the United States.
– Spinach growers saw a 33% increase in consumption during the 1930s, which can be attributed to the popularity of Popeye!
– We can thank Italian chef Caesar Cardini for inventing one of our favorites, the Caesar salad, in 1924.
– Iceberg lettuce was developed to solve the issues relating to transporting other types of lettuce long distances.
– The first salad bar in a restaurant was instituted in the 1960s – but the jury is out on the actual founder of this revolutionary idea.
Celebrate National Salad Month by enjoying these 17 spring-inspired recipes:
- Break out the grill for this colorful Grilled Summer Steak Salad.
- This Rainbow Chopped Cashew Salad is full of fresh and bright flavors.
- A Buffalo Chicken Salad is the perfect mix of hot and cool!
- Fresh mozzarella and herbed chicken strips make this Chicken Caprese Salad with Cucumbers recipe so good!
- This vibrant Stars and Stripes Salad is covered in a delish poppyseed dressing.
- Have a BLT in salad form instead of on bread with this BLT Salad!
- Nothing says summer like an Arugula and Florida Berry Salad with Candied Pecans.
- This Santa Fe Shrimp Salad takes only 10 minutes to prep!
- Who knew you could have salad on a pizza? This Simple Salad Pizza is the answer!
- This crunchy Kale Apple Cheddar Salad is sure to please your palette.
- If you love Tex-Mex flavors, this 10-Minute Layered Southwest Salad is the choice for you.
- This bold combo makes the perfect pair – you’ll love this Bacon Pear Salad!
- A Caesar Rice Salad incorporates savory rice into this classic salad recipe.
- This hearty Southwest Dinner Salad is packed with avocado slices and fresh veggies.
- Make your own dressing from scratch with this Creamy Wedge Salad!
- This yummy Spinach Salad is made with just a few simple ingredients.
- A Grilled Chicken and Arugula Salad with Creamy Avocado Dressing is lunch decision to stand behind.
What are your favorite salads? Share with us on social @EasyHomeMeals