We All Scream for Ice Cream Sandwich Day!
Happy National Ice Cream Sandwich Day! There’s so much to love about this portable ice cream treat, but when was it invented? According to the book, Of Sugar and Snow: A History of Ice Cream Making, by Jeri Quinzio, the credit is given to a New York City pushcart peddler in 1899. The original sandwich was ice cream between two thin graham wafers. The graham wafers provided this hand-held option for ice cream to be more easily consumed due to conducting the heat of the eater’s hands to make the ice cream softer to eat, without melting too fast. This original ice cream sandwich cost only a penny.
Luckily for all of us ice cream lovers, the ice cream sandwich has come a long way, with tons of varieties of flavors and styles.
Stock your freezer with these tasty ice cream sandwiches:
- You can’t go wrong with the classic, especially when it’s a super-sized Vanilla Ice Cream Sandwich!
- The Chocolate Lovers Ice Cream Sandwich is what chocolate dreams are made of.
- If you can’t choose between vanilla, chocolate or strawberry, then go with the Neapolitan Ice Cream Sandwich.
- Satisfy your cravings with a Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream Sandwich.
- Indulge without the guilt with a No Sugar Added Vanilla Ice Cream Sandwich.
- Enjoy your favorite summer treat as a S’mores Ice Cream Sandwich–no campfire required!
- For the chocolate chip cookie feigns, then indulge in a Kempswich!
- You won’t be able to resist a Cookies N’ Cream Ice Cream Sandwich.
- Whether it’s your special day or not, enjoy a Birthday Party Ice Cream Sandwich!
- The chocolate chip lover will devour this Chocolate Chip Ice Cream Sandwich.
- If you rather have something fruity, try a Strawberry Ice Cream Sandwich.
- If you like the ice cream then you’ll absolutely love the Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Ice Cream Sandwich!
- Enjoy your favorite slice of pie as a Key Lime Ice Cream Sandwich!
- Indulge in a Raspberry Chip Ice Cream Sandwich and prepared to be dazzled!
- This Salted Caramel Ice Cream Sandwich is oh so rich and decadent.
If you’re feeling creative, make your own fun ice cream sandwich with these ideas:
- These Chocolate Ice Cream Sandwiches are just sugar cookies + chocolate ice cream + chocolate chips/pistachios.
- If you like brownies and ice creams, then you’ll love these portable Brownie Ice Cream Sandwiches!
- These Chocolate Dipped Ice Cream Sandwiches can be customized with your different candies and toppings.
- Calling all peanut butter lovers, these Reese’s Peanut Butter Cup Glorious Cookie Sandwiches are right up your alley!
- This recipe for Drop In Ice Cream Sandwiches will become a summer-must.
- Get a taste for the original ice cream sandwich with these Homemade Graham Cracker Ice Cream Sandwiches.
- Whip up these adorable Mini Ice Cream Sandwiches using mini waffles and sprinkles!
- You DONUT want to miss out on making these Star Spangled Ice Cream Stuffed Donuts!
- These Confetti Cookie Ice Cream Sandwiches are made with refrigerated cookie dough.
- These Krispy Ice Cream Sandwiches take this dessert to a whole new level!
- Turn your favorite childhood sandwich into a tasty dessert with this recipe for Peanut Butter & Jelly Ice Cream Sandwiches.
What’s your favorite kind of ice cream sandwich? Share with us on social media @EasyHomeMeals!