Taco Takeover for National Taco Day
What’s not to love about tacos? Similar to America’s version of the sandwich, tacos are a traditional Mexican dish composed of two main ingredients; tortillas and a protein or vegetable filling. Last year, over 4.5 billion tacos were consumed by Americans— that is 775 million pounds, the equal weight of two Empire State buildings! Especially now, tacos are seen everywhere from food trucks to restaurants, but today is the day to rejoice… it’s National Taco Day!
The greatest thing about tacos is versatility and their ability to be customized depending on recipe, taste profile and flavor palate. Consider all of the possibilities ranging from meat, seafood, vegetarian, beans, cheese and the varieties of toppings such as salsa, sour cream, avocado, cilantro and more! But, the one common thread between all varieties is the traditional outer wrapping of a tortilla— corn, flour or wheat. But, there are non-traditional options as well, like refrigerated pizza crust or a tortilla chip bowl. Even though tacos can transform into whatever you’re craving, try these traditional versions:
- Flautas: known as taquitos, these are filled with shredded chicken or beef, rolled into tube shapes and deep-fried until crispy.
- Taco al Pastor: known as shepherd’s style taco, these are the most popular variety in Mexico and usually consist of spiced pork.
- Tacos de Asador: bursting with griddled fillings, these tacos are most commonly seen with carne asada, chorizo, chicken or grilled tripe.
- Tacos de Cazo: slow-cooked, fried pork shoulder is cooked until melt-in-your-mouth tender for this taco style.
Need some inspiration for National Taco Day celebrations? We’ve taken a stroll down the frozen and refrigerated aisles and thought of countless ways for you to get creative and spice up your taco fiesta! Here are some first-class recipe ideas that amp up your average taco:
- Taco Pizza: Instead of a typical taco, why not switch out the tortilla for a refrigerated pizza crust and pile high with spicy sausage, enchilada sauce, shredded Mexican cheese and cilantro for a wow-factor that everyone will love!
- Taco Dip in a Jar: Totally go out on a limb and turn traditional taco elements into a trendy Mason jar appetizer with layers of ground beef, refried beans, sour cream,
guacamole, salsa and shredded Cheddar cheese.
- Cheesy Egg and Potato Breakfast Tacos: Take simple ingredients such as refrigerated, diced potatoes, cheese, scrambled eggs and salsa that are all combined in one breakfast dish that all ages will enjoy, especially for those kids headed off to school.
- Taco Salad: Throw all of your favorite taco elements (beans, salsa, avocado, sour cream and more) into a tortilla chip bowl and you get a colorful dish that is perfect for entertaining!
- Chipotle Chicken and Vegetable Tacos: Head to your freezer for the staple bag of frozen veggies and pair with shredded chicken, queso fresco cheese and chipotle chile sauce for a spicy dinnertime solution.
If you’d like to celebrate but are scrapped for time, José Olé Mini Beef & Cheese Mini Tacos are perfect for lunch, dinner or anytime snack!
How do you like your tacos— wrapped in a tortilla, layered in a dip, topped on a pizza or for breakfast, lunch or dinner? Either way, take advantage of National Taco Day and embrace the endless creative possibilities! Olé!