Super Cool After-School Snacks
We’ve said it before that snacking has become increasingly popular over the years, but it has always been common among children and adolescents, particularly after school. Many students eat lunch early—11:30 a.m. or even before—and then have an afternoon of classes and maybe even an after-school activity before their next opportunity to eat. It’s no surprise that most kids are starving by the time they get home and thus, reach for a snack.
Snacks can play an important role in managing hunger and boosting nutrition. A well-timed snack can even out spikes in hunger and provide a much-needed energy jolt between meals. Snacks can keep younger kids from getting so hungry that they become moody, and they can keep older kids from overeating at larger meals. An after-school snack can hold them over until dinnertime, but it’s important to pay attention to portion sizes and timing of snacks so they don’t interfere with a child’s appetite for the next scheduled meal, in this case: dinner.
When after-school hunger strikes, have these heat-and-eat and ready-to-eat foods on hand:
- Serve these Chicken Cheese Nachos Bites with salsa, guacamole and/our sour cream.
- Whether cooked in the microwave or oven, these Triple Cheese Pizza Rolls are a must-have in your freezer!
- For those little ones with a sweet tooth, these Cinnamon Monkey Bites are a great portion for snacking.
- Bake a few of these Chicken Fries to keep afternoon meltdowns at-bay!
- These Angus Cheeseburgers are snack-sized and can be heated in the microwave.
- Kid Builder Mozzarella String Cheeses are a classic snack everyone loves, especially kids!
- For a healthier option, bake your child’s favorite variety of these tasty Veggie Tots.
- French Toast Sticks aren’t just for breakfast. Your kids will love customizing them with their favorite sprinkles and other toppings!
- These Extra Crunchy Beef & Cheese Mini Tacos are a hand-held snack bursting with flavor.
These after-school snack recipes are easy to make, tasty and kid approved:
- The kids are sure to do their homework with a smile when you serve these After-School Pizza Puffs!
- Bake these Chewy Fruit Flax Granola Bars ahead of time—they make for a great study snack!
- Whip together this Creamy Fruit Dip using orange juice and have your child’s favorite fruit washed, chopped and ready.
- These delicious Broccoli Ricotta Bites contain three different kinds of cheeses, so no one will mind there’s broccoli inside them!
- These Turtles are turtle-ly scrumptious and adorable for a dessert-turned-snack!
- Apple-Nut Cheese Snack recipe turns an ordinary snack into extraordinary!
- Your children won’t be able to resist playing with their food when you bake up these fun Tic-Tac-Toe Sticks!
- Serve with garlic butter, marinara sauce or Ranch dressing for dipping.
- Blend up a Banana Mango Smoothie before and store it in the freezer, or have the ingredients ready to be blended when your kiddo comes through the door!
- Peanut Honey Caramel Corn can be made in advance and is the perfect sweet and salty snack.
What do you keep stocked up in your freezer and fridge for after-school snacks? Share your favorites with us in the comments below!