Stop What You’re Doing—It’s Ice Cream Sandwich Day!
You guys, today is National Ice Cream Sandwich Day! Who can seriously resist this scrumptious hand-held frozen treat? It’s really no surprise that the ice cream sandwich ranks as the second best-selling ice cream novelty in America, with the 30-44 age group buying them the most. In fact, the ice cream sandwich is so American it is sold at the Smithsonian Institute in Washington, D.C..
The first ice cream sandwich was created in 1899 by an unknown pushcart peddler in the Bowery neighborhood of New York City. These sandwiches consisted of vanilla ice cream pressed between two thin graham wafers. The modern ice cream sandwich that we know and love today (a slice of vanilla between two rectangular chocolate cookies) was invented by Jerry Newberg, who sold ice cream at Forbes Field in Pittsburgh.
- Vanilla Kempswich
- Cookies ‘n Cream Ice Cream Sandwich
- Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream Sandwich
- Raspberry Cheesecake Ice Cream Sandwich
- Birthday Party Sandwich
- Giant Neapolitan Ice Cream Sandwich
- Key Lime Pie-wich
- Chocolate Lovers Sandwich
If you’re feeling creative, try out one (or all) of these ice cream sandwich recipes:
- Donuts aren’t just for breakfast! Enjoy these Donut Ice Cream Sandwiches for dessert.
- Make these Drop In Ice Cream Sandwiches with your kiddos as an end of the summer treat!
- Turn frozen pound cake into scrumptious Pound Cake Ice Cream Sandwiches.
- These Mini Ice Cream Sandwiches are oh-so adorable!
- If you like hot brownies and ice cream then you’ll love these Brownie Ice Cream Sandwiches!
- Once you have one of these S’more Ice Cream Sandwiches you’ll definitely want s’more!
- The candy topping choices are endless when you make these fun Chocolate Dipped Ice Cream Sandwiches.
- Is today also someone’s birthday? Make an easy Ice Cream Sandwich Cake!
What’s your all-time favorite ice cream sandwich? Share with us in the comments below! 🙂