Soups and Chilis to Keep Your Warm
Fall is here and following right behind is chilly weather. We all just want to cuddle up on the couch and enjoy a warm bowl of our favorite soup or chili! Our favorite soups and come from a variety of meat, veggies and stocks.
We love warm soups so much, we date them back all the way to 6000 BC to the very first soup made of hippopotamus – yuck! While January is actually National Soup Month, we find ourselves devouring these chilis and soups from the start of fall to the end of winter. While in America, we eat our soups mostly hot, some places in Spain serve their stews cold!
We love soup so much, we eat 10 billion bowls of soup every year! We can thank artist Andy Warhol for contributing to that number. He was once asked why he painted his famous Campbell’s soup painting and he answered, “I used to have the same soup for lunch every day for 20 years.” That’s dedication!
Chili is another one of our cold weather favorites. The first recorded batch of chili in America was in 1731 by a group of women from the Spanish Canary Islands who emigrated to America. Back then it was called “spicy Spanish stew” and we now call it “chili.” Over the years, we have developed several kinds of chili including those without beans, vegetarian chili, chili made with pork, and chili with white beans and turkey or chicken. That’s a lot of chili!
- Start your day off with this kickin’ Breakfast Chili – great as a hearty breakfast or brunch meal!
- Applewood Smoked 3-Bean Chili is perfectly in-season for a savory dinner idea.
- Make a batch big enough for the whole family – plus friends – with Slow-Cooker Chili!
- Or if you like chicken in your chili, this Fiery Hot Chicken Chili is sure to satisfy.
- White Bean and Chicken Chili is a winner winner, chicken dinner!
- Get the best of both worlds with Chili Cornbread – a cozy combination of two favorites!
Pair these savory soups with hearty rolls and breads for a complete meal:
- Nothing is more classic than Tomato Soup & Grilled Cheese Sandwich.
- If you’re a fan of black beans, this Black Bean Soup goes perfectly with Stone Baked Artisan French Rolls!
- What could say “fall” more than Cheddar & Butternut Squash Soup with Apple & Bacon served in mini pretzel rolls?
- These Sweet Hawaiian Rolls are the perfect match for Roasted Red Pepper Soup with Yogurt Pesto Swirl.
- Keep it oh-so-cheesy with Classic Cheddar Corn soup and easy-to-bake Garlic Parmesan Monkey Bread.
- Ham and Potato Soup will warm your tummy in no time, especially when served with Buttermilk Biscuits!
Or switch it up with these unique soup recipes and ideas:
- Spiced Peanut & Sweet Potato Soup is full of spicy aromas and delicious herbs.
- Broccoli lovers, you’ll go nuts over this Lightened Up Broccoli and Cheese Soup!
- Bet you’ve never thought of this cool combo: Creamy Asparagus and Pea Soup!
- Roasted Carrot Ginger Cashew Soup with Cheddar Paprika Popovers are full of veggies and cheesy goodness!
- Have you ever thought to add meatballs to soup? Give it a whirl with Meatball Minestrone Soup.
- Reminisce to the warm days of summer with this Cold Avocado Soup with Tomato Soup!
What is your favorite warm bowl on a chilly fall evening? Share with us in the comments below!