Salute to the Grilled Cheese Sandwich!
Not only is April National Grilled Cheese Month, tomorrow is also National Grilled Cheese Day! Who doesn’t love a good grilled cheese (or toasted cheese as it used to be called) sandwich? Melty cheese and crisp, buttery toast – it’s heavenly! Did you know the grilled cheese started out as an open-faced sandwich with shredded cheese during the 1920s? Sliced bread and processed cheese made its way onto the food scene around this time and these ingredients were affordable during the Great Depression, making it a quite popular sandwich. They were also frequently served to sailors in the Navy during World War II because of its simple ingredients and process to make. Kraft Singles were introduced in 1949, which was a game changer for grilled cheese. By the 1960s, supermarkets started regularly carrying wrapped cheese, and the second slice of bread was added to make a more filling sandwich.
So why is grilled cheese often associated with tomato soup? It’s believed that in order to meet the government’s specific nutritional requirements for school lunches, cafeterias paired the simple sandwich with canned tomato soup for an easy meal. Well, we’re certainly glad they made that choice! Today, grilled cheese is so trendy, there are even restaurants dedicated solely to creating rich and unique grilled cheese sandwiches.
You absolutely cannot go wrong with these classic grilled cheese recipes:
- You can’t go wrong with a Classic Grilled Cheese Sandwich alongside your favorite soup or chili.
- If you like your toast super crispy, you’ll love these Ultimate Crispy Grilled Cheese Sandwiches!
- Swap ordinary bread with waffles for these mini Grilled Cheese Sandwiches!
All month long, be innovative in your own kitchen with these amazing add-ins:
- Ooey-Gooey Bacon Grilled Cheese has a surprise ingredient making it so creamy.
- 2 Cheese Cheddar Grilled Cheese Sandwiches are filled with gooey cheddar cheese.
- Turn your favorite dip into a unique sandwich with this recipe for Spinach & Artichoke Grilled Cheese Sandwich!
- Grilled Cheese with Sun Dried Tomatoes, Artichokes, and Prosciutto is full of irresistible flavors!
- If you like it a little spicy, Jalapeno Popper Grilled Cheese is sure to be right up your alley!
- Switch up your boring bread routine and try a Three Cheese Panini on English muffins!
- Add herbs to your butter for this Kicked Up Herbed Grilled Cheese Sandwich.
- A Turkey Bacon and Tomato Grilled Cheese is like a BLT, but better!
- Fresh mozzarella makes this Caprese-Style Grilled Cheese one like you’ve never tasted before!
- Load on the carbs and flavor with this incredible Grilled Mac & Cheese Sandwich.
Make it a hearty meal with with these meat-packed grilled cheese sandwiches:
- As if this duo wasn’t already amazing enough—try a Chicken and Waffles Grilled Cheese!
- A Pulled Pork Grilled Cheese is great for a BBQ-inspired menu.
- Channel your love for pizza through this Grilled Cheese Pizza Sandwich!
- We bet you’ve never thought of combining this Italian classic in a grilled cheese sandwich—Lasagna Grilled Cheese.
- This Gouda, Mushroom and Ham Grilled Cheese Sandwich is chock-full of savory flavors!
- Let your taste buds take a journey with this Mediterranean Meatball Grilled Cheese!
- Your lunchtime absolutely needs this Spicy-Sweet Ham & Cheddar Grilled Cheese.
What’s your favorite way to enjoy grilled cheese? Share with us on social media @EasyHomeMeals!