For the Chicken
- 1 whole roasting chicken
- 1 tspn. chili powder
- 1 tspn. cumin
- 1 tspn. Kosher salt
- 1 tspn. oregano
- 1/2 tspn. black pepper
- 3 Tbsp. olive oil
For the Citrus Butter
- 1 1/2 sticks of softened Land O’ Lakes unsalted butter
- zest and juice of 1 lemon
- zest and juice of 1 lime
For the Avocado Yogurt
- 3/4 cup of Dannon plain yogurt
- 1 avocado, seed and peel removed
- juice of 1 lime
- 2 Tbsp. chopped fresh cilantro
- Kosher salt & fresh cracked pepper to taste
- Preheat the grill to medium-high (375° to 425°).
- For the chicken: in a small bowl mix together the chili powder, cumin, salt, oregano and pepper, and take 2 tablespoons of the spice blend and set the rest aside.
- Add the whole chicken to a large bowl and drizzle on 3 tablespoons of olive oil and the spice blend all over the chicken. Note: Trussing the chicken is optional.
- Place the chicken breast side down on the grill and cook for 2 to 3 minutes on all sides until the chicken is covered in grill marks.
- Next transfer the chicken to a cast iron skillet and continue to cook it on the grill with the lid closed and cook for 1 hour.
- For the Butter: In a separate medium sized bowl mix together the softened butter and citrus until combined. Baste the chicken on all sides with the butter baste every 10 to 15 minutes or until it’s gone.
- For the Avocado Yogurt: In another separate large bowl mash together the yogurt and avocado until smooth and mix in the lime juice, cilantro, salt and pepper and keep cool.
- To Plate: Once the chicken is done cooking, remove it from the grill and let it rest for 4 to 5 minutes before serving. Baste one last time if there is still some butter left and serve it along side the avocado yogurt sauce.