Recipe At A Glance
If you are on the go or having a picnic at the beach or park, put 2-3 Potato Flautas from Mama Latina Tips on a plate with guacamole or salsa at the side to dip them in!
Featured ProductSimply Potatoes® Diced Potatoes
- 1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons olive, canola or grapeseed oil
- 1/2 cup white onion, finely chopped
- 3 large garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 Roma tomatoes, chopped
- 1 (20 oz.) Simply Potatoes® Diced Potatoes (They’re already washed, peeled and cut, yeah!)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup shredded cheese
- 25 corn tortillas, king size
- 1 romaine or iceberg lettuce, sliced
- Salsa of your choice
- Avocado or guacamole (optional)
- Heat two tablespoons of oil in a deep pot over high heat. Add onion and garlic and cook for 30 seconds stirring constantly. Then add tomatoes and cook for another minute.
- Tomato, garlic and onion by mamalatinatips.com
- Add potatoes and salt to tomato-onion mixture, mix until potatoes are coated with the sauce. Pour in two tablespoons of water, lower the temperature to medium, cover, and cook for 12 minutes, stirring now and then. Check potatoes and if they are soft, remove from heat and keep them covered for 5 minutes.
- While you wait, set up your working station. You will need a plate covered with paper towels, another clean plate, and the cheese.
- Now heat oil in a shallow pan. Separately, heat up a comal to warm up the tortillas. You can also use a microwave to heat the tortillas. Start warming up your tortillas in batches of 5-8 at a time. This is done to soften them so they will roll easily.
- Now, take one tortilla, put it in on a plate, and spoon out 1-2 teaspoons of potato mixture and place it a little off the center of the tortilla, leaving 1/4 inch space at both ends (don’t overfill the tortillas otherwise the filling will fall into the oil), cover with cheese. Then roll tortilla as tightly as you can. Repeat until you finish with the first 5-8 flauta batch.
Potato flautas filling by mamalatinatips.com
- By now the oil should be very hot, carefully submerge the filled tortillas and fry until golden. Use a pair of tongs to turn them over and fry again until the other side is done. Remove and put on top of the plate covered with the paper towel. Repeat.
- Potato flautas frying by mamalatinatips.com
- While the first batch is frying you can keep warming up and filling up tortillas so you have the next batch ready to add to the oil. Repeat until you finish with all the flautas.
- You can serve them in different ways. If you are home, put a base of lettuce, add 3-4 flautas on top, cover with your favorite salsa, avocado, more cheese and even sour cream if you like. You can also serve them the other way, flautas in the bottom, then lettuce and salsa, it’s like having a salad on top.