Recipe At A Glance
I scream, you scream, we all scream for ice cream! Mr. Food Test Kitchen’s Crazy Good Ice Cream Cake is filled with novelty treats and creamy scoops of ice cream that your taste buds will fall in love with! It’s layer upon layer of simple, but oh-so-delicious ingredients that you can find right in the freezer aisle of your favorite grocery store!
- 1 (4-oz.) pkg. sugar cones, coarsely crushed (12 cones)
- 4 cups chocolate ice cream, softened
- 4 to 5 assorted novelty ice cream bars and cones (see Tip)
- 4 cups mint chocolate chip ice cream, softened
- 4 cups black cherry chip ice cream, softened
- 8 mini novelty ice cream cones, as shown
- Frozen whipped topping, thawed, for garnish
- Maraschino cherries for garnish
- Place crushed ice cream cones in the bottom of a 10-inch spring form pan. (You’ll want to keep these in 1-inch pieces and not pulverized).
- Spoon chocolate ice cream over crushed cones and gently spread it, creating an even layer.
- Although this may sound odd, lay 4 or 5 novelty ice creams on their side on top of the chocolate ice cream layer. (These can be anything from your favorite ice cream sandwiches, nutty-topped cones, or frozen candy bar creations. Just make sure there’s nothing with a stick in it like a frozen pop).
- Top those with a layer of slightly softened mint chocolate chip ice cream, making sure you press the ice cream in and around the novelties.
- After that layer is smooth, top that with a layer of black cherry ice cream and level that out.
- Insert mini ice cream cones into the top layer of the “cake” (as shown). Garnish with whipped topping and cherries and freeze at least 4 hours or until ice cream is solid.
- Remove the ring of the spring form pan and cut into wedges.
- Remember to add the whipped topping and, of course, the Maraschino cherries on top!
- Mr. Food Test Kitchen Tip:
For novelty ice cream, we tested this with Snickers® and Twix® ice cream bars, and M & M®’s ice cream sundae cones and then used Blue Bunny® mini cones to garnish it. Make sure you visit the freezer case so you can pick out your favorite novelties and flavors of ice cream to personalize this to your family’s taste.