Recipe At A Glance
Quick, convenient and tasty for the busy mornings, a back-to-school breakfast dish any kid will enjoy! This recipe was created for Easy Home Meals exclusively by Chef Aida Mollenkamp.
- 8 refrigerated corn tortillas
- 5 Tbsp. olive oil, divided
- 1 pkg. Simply Potatoes refrigerated diced potatoes with onions
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 8 large eggs
- ⅓ cup salsa (your favorite salsa e.g. tomatillo), plus more for garnish
- ⅔ cup shredded jack or mozzarella cheese
- 4 scallions, thinly sliced (1 cup)
- 12 dashes hot sauce, plus more for garnish (optional)
- 1 large ripe avocado, thinly sliced
- Sour Cream, for garnish (optional)
Turn gas to medium-high heat. Cook tortillas on a non-stick skillet until charred in a few spots, about 30 seconds per side (be careful not to let tortillas burn.) Once charred, nestle tortillas in a cloth dish towel to keep warm and set aside.
Meanwhile, add 3 tablespoons of oil to a large non-stick skillet over medium- high heat. When it simmers, add potatoes, season with salt and pepper, and cook according to package directions. When potatoes are ready, remove from pan and set aside.
Meanwhile, place eggs in a medium bowl and quickly break up egg yolks with a whisk. Stir in salsa, ½ cup of cheese, scallions, hot sauce (if using). Season with salt and pepper and whisk until smooth. Wipe out skillet potatoes were in and return to medium heat; add remaining 2 tablespoons oil. Add egg mixture and cook stirring occasionally until just set, about 4 minutes. Remove from heat, add remaining cheese, cover and sit until eggs are cooked to desired doneness and cheese is melted.
Divide eggs and potatoes among charred tortillas. Top with avocado and finish with additional salsa or sour cream, if using. Serve immediately.