Lighten Up Your Grilling Without Missing Out
Is there anything better than grilling in the summer? We can’t get enough of all of the barbecue staples, from appetizers to side dishes and the main courses to desserts. With so much to choose from, it’s easy to fill your plate and over-indulge, It’s difficult to be mindful of what you’re eating when you’re surrounded by a spread of rich foods; however, it is possible. You can also make your entire meal on the grill.
Follow these helpful tips for safer and healthier grilling, plus mindful eating when attending and/or hosting a cookout:
– Marinating food for a while before cooking limits the formation of potential carcinogens while grilling.
– Fish is a great protein for grilling, and it contains omega-3 fatty acids and a lot less saturated fat than traditional barbecue meats.
– Don’t let the charred buildup on your grill transfer to your meal – clean your grill with a wire brush.
– Keep raw meat, poultry and seafood separate from vegetables and other foods.
– Fill up on veggies and salad first so you have less room for unhealthier foods.
– Whether for burgers, hot dogs or sausages, try eating it open-faced or go bun-less – if you must have a bun make it whole grain.
– Increase fruit and veggie intake by kebabing and grilling them.
– Use condiments wisely and opt for those with no added sugar or lower fat.
Throw these appetizers on the grill early to hold everyone over until the main event:
- Try not to fill up on these Fresh Mozzarella Skewers with Grilled Vegetables!
- Skip the potato chips and make these Grilled Rosemary Sea Salt and Vinegar Beet Chips instead.
- Better make a double batch of the Grilled Veggie Crostini, they’ll go fast!
You can grill up these wholesome side dishes alongside the main course(s):
- Once to have ORE-IDA Grilled French Fries you’ll never want to fry them again!
- Everything tastes better on a stick, especially these Grilled Vegetable Kabobs!
- If you’ve never had Grill Roasted Corn-On-The-Cob, you’ve seriously been missing out!
- These Cheese-Topped Grilled Tomatoes will become a new BBQ favorite.
- There’s no need to chop up the broccoli and cauliflower for this recipe for Grilled Orange Glazed Broccoli & Cauliflower!
- As if grilled veggies weren’t delicious enough–Grilled Parmesan Vegetables.
These lighter main courses are so yummy, you won’t miss the traditional fare:
- Skip the steak sauce and instead have Yogurt-Marinated Grilled Steak.
- You won’t mind eating healthier when you can have Grilled Lemon Pepper Chicken!
- Skip the buns and the meat and have Burgers with Chunky Grilled Vegetables.
- These Grilled Coconut Shrimp give a whole new meaning to “Shrimp on the barbie!”
- For a lighter option, swap other meats for fish like this Grilled Salmon with Lemon-Dill Sauce.
- Grill up these Best-Ever Cheeseburgers and skip the bun if you’re looking to go even lighter!
- We love the idea of adding potatoes to your skewers in this recipe for Grilled Fiesta Chicken and Potatoes!
- These Grilled Scallops with Apple Cider Melt® Blanc are so tender and oh-so scrumptious!
- Skip the meat and instead have Grilled Vegetables In Flatbread with Arla Havarti.
- Your taste buds will thank you for making this Barbecue Chicken with Citrus Yogurt Marinade!
Who knew you could whip up dessert on the grill? Try them out for yourselves:
- The kids and kids at heart will love these Grilled Angel Food Cake Kabobs!
- Everyone will go bananas over these Grilled Bananas & Pecan Sundaes.
- Fruit on the grill tastes like candy, so absolutely must make these Cinnamon-Spiced Fruit Kabobs.
- Take waffles and ice cream to a whole new level with these Grilled Waffle Sundaes with Berry Sauce!
- We can’t resist pound cake, especially in this Grilled Pound Cake with Peaches and Strawberries.
- Another delicious grilled fruit–indulge in Grilled Pineapple a la Mode for dessert!
- You’ll love the savory and sweet flavor combination in these Grilled Peaches with Ricotta and Balsamic.
- Enjoy this classic dessert with a twist–Creamy Banana Foster Dessert Panini.
How do you lighten up your own grilling? Share with us on social media @EasyHomeMeals!